Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! The view out my window Oct. 20, 2024. The red in the background is a dogwood behind the maple who is just beginning to turn.

Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Tuesday Treasure

 And another Tuesday Treasure, the Ennis House by Frank Lloyd Wright in Los Angeles CA.

This is a 10 minute tour of the inside of his last Mayan-inspired designs. Unfortunately there are ads thrown at you, but I recommend using a mute button. Oh I forgot to mention it is for sale, in case you have $23 million.


-----------------

A clay artist whom I admire and have visited several years ago, Akira Satake, lost his studio in Asheville. Here's a clip of his work and philosophy which was taken at his Swannanoa home before Hurricane Helene.

 I don't know how to add a  clip that's a Vinmeo...so here's the link.
 https://vimeo.com/846373243?&login=true

Akira welcomed me and my son and his (son's) clay teacher, Brian Ramson into his home a few years back, and showed us his small studio and huge kiln at that time. I've even bought a few very small pieces of his work. 

Asheville's River Arts district was 80% destroyed, and housed more than 300 artist's studios and warehouses.



Here's an editorial piece about how Asheville had a flood in 1916 and made some efforts in 2004 to mitigate flooding. Will we Even try to prevent future flooding?

At noon our little nearby town of Swannanoa had lots of dignitaries descend upon it, with all local as well as interstate traffic closed down so tRump could come make a speech with the GOP senator and representative and Franklin Graham (not like his father Billy Graham I've been told) standing behind him. He gave the speech about 10 feet from his big SUV with some debris piled in the background. Less than 6 minutes.

 It was well covered by WLOS including our Governor Cooper (D) saying tRump lied about the lack of help from the government after the disaster. Here's the link: https://www.wlos.com/news/local/donald-trump-tours-helene-storm-damage-north-carolina-swannanoa-election-day-kamala-harris-campaign#

----------------------


Today's quote:
When we live with intent, we own our actions; instead of habitually performing them.

---------

Pet parade in Black Mountain in 2023 and yes it is scheduled again for 2024!

22nd Annual Black Mountain HowlOWeen Pet Parade & Costume Contest Oct. 26 2024
Walking in the Parade is free & starts at 3. Registration for the Costume Contest starts at 1:30 and just $8. Great prizes donated by local businesses! Proceeds to benefit Rusty’s Legacy.




7 comments:

  1. Not even $1 million here......
    Interesting house. A "tad" too tall ;-)

    Horrible pictures of the flooding. - fun parade, we need fun....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by...I always wonder what the realtor gal is paid to make that video. Better be good!

      Delete
  2. ...I'm a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, but I'm not a fan of the Helene damage. The construction business was an important part of my life and I don't know where they will start reconstruction. My best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The county is working on how to do debris removal, and then treat it to make it smaller and then fill up, I think they said 70 dump trucks with it. I can't wait till my first trash pick up here in Black Mountain on Thurs morning. I'll be out there with about 3-4 bags full. In the last few weeks people were given the option to put trash in two big dumpsters but then they would have to wait until they were emptied before leaving more than could fit inside. The trucks turn around time was 2 hours. Our Black Mountain santitation dept. owns its own trucks, and they were damaged by Helene...so they've come up with some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The loss of the quirky River Arts District is too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that the Rump was messin around there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me again. I have to sign in time and again when I am on my tablet. Sometimes I forget.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.