Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Photo on Facebook was titled "Smoky Mountains in NC and TN" by unknown photographer.

Thursday, October 17, 2024

Notes from Columbia's visit (South Carolina)

One day cousin John and I went to the Columbia Museum of Art to see the show of French art from impressionists. I've shared some of the ones I liked over on my blog Alchemy of Clay.

Here we arrived at the museum to see sculptures all around the courtyard by the entrance.

I didn't see a plaque giving the artist credit, but maybe I was not looking far enough.

Hanging above us in the lobby was a Chihuly blown glass sculpture.

The galleries had a lot of people, but it didn't feel crowded. The people were as interesting as the displays sometimes!



After seeing all of the French exhibit, I needed to rest a bit. 

This somewhat artificial bouquet was next to me...somehow real flowers had been infused with something to keep them looking fresh. As I sat there, I saw across the lobby to the stairs leading up to the permanent collection (which I didn't have the energy to visit this time.)


The woman sitting on the far left (seated in dark clothes) had tripped and fallen on the lowest set of stairs, and the docents at the desk picked up a phone immediately. But the fallen woman slowly turned over and sat up, and was with at least one friend, who helped her to a chair. So the docents cancelled the EMTs that were probably about to come help her. That was the excitement at the museum that day!

----------

My cousin, John, was a fabulous host, who actually works a bit from home composing music.. He also teaches composition at USC. So it was imperative to me to not make any sounds while he was composing (my rule). But he was attentive to every sound, so I knew that my presence was disturbing, no matter what I did. 

I spied this mural as we drove along from getting groceries. 


A bit difficult to see as we drove by...
Among all the modern shiny glass perhaps its a tribute to the past of Columbia.




The South Carolina State Capitol. Don't know which confederate general is standing there.



Today's quote:

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending." Jim Henson





No comments:

Post a Comment

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.