Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! The view out my window Oct. 20, 2024. The red in the background is a dogwood behind the maple who is just beginning to turn.

Sunday, October 20, 2024

A day of survivors enjoying a meetup

 First an update: yesterday when I woke up I was disoriented and didn't know which bedroom I was in, John's house? Martha's? or yes, my own!

The little mini-split-air-unit which cools or heats my bedroom went on frequently last night...it got down to the 30s. Tonight there's a frost forecast, so I plan to bring inside the few plants that I just can still water and hope they'll maybe survive another winter. Some I've already given away to neighbors and friends. Water is precious now. I've been doing like the old stories mention, and using the dishwater to water plants.  I don't wash many dishes (preferring paper plates & bowls, and plastic ware) so I only wash the pans I cook in, and utensils I use! And just a few days ago Black Mountain's water was improved from "use only to flush" to "boil for drinking, ok to wash dishes, clothes and shower." (However it still has a lot of fine particles in it, so I showered at a friend's house yesterday who owns a well.)

Two friends and I met for free hot lunches a few days ago...and went three places before finding a really good spaghetti meal, with a side salad and a taco soup. The first place by the Trailhead Restaurant was just giving either a cup of soup or a breakfast burrito, and a fruit. Though we were grateful for their offerings, my friends said they were too hungry for just that. So we tried the Presbyterian church, but they are now focused on clothing and packaged foods, and they told us to  go to the Railyard.

At one end of the Railyard's big courtyard of picnic tables, is a stage where volunteers take a turn at entertaining whoever comes in.


The food line wasn't too long, and we received a meal of pasta, green salad and a taco soup, with various drink boxes available and snacks also - all free. The pasta was very good with lots of cheese, a bit of meat and good tomato sauce. The soup was too spicy for my taste, but we all enjoyed the salad! It was sunny but a bit windy for my comfort, in the mid 40s.


There were many families with kids, and I counted at least 20 youngsters just hanging out blowing bubbles, or tossing balls. And yes, behind the parked cars is the raised railroad track. I think parts of it were damaged by the floods, so it may not be operational yet. Having no schools open must be a challenge to parents, especially those who could go back to work.




Who knew I could make that face! But I wanted to show the long building with all the garage door openings which is the heart of the Railyard.

-----------------

Today's quote:

"I learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Thoreau



And I'm now going to post a photo every day of the devastation, so those who haven't seen it on the news, or moved on to the next disaster, will know what we're still dealing with.  This isn't easy for me to do, as I get choked up just looking at the powerful destruction.


I-40 near mile marker 4 in NC near border of TN and NC. After flood.


Waters have receded on I-40 near mile marker 4 in NC near border of TN and NC.


Both entrances to tunnel.


Highway I-40 is not open to traffic between Knoxville and Asheville. It is not due to be repaired for months.




11 comments:

  1. Community coming together..a very positive thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, several people keep identifying this community building as the thing we needed to learn as we go forward with more climate change events.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    It is nice to see the volunteers and community coming together.
    The storm damage looks terrible, the roads look awful.
    I hope all goes back to normal soon, but I know it can all take time.
    Take care and stay safe! Happy Sunday, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday to you as well, Eileen. Yes normal would be nice, but over all the news that I watched last night, there wasn't normal anywhere in the world.

      Delete
  3. The water along the interstate still looks so very angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was pretty early after the storm. I haven't been able to get close to any of my usual places along the Swannanoa River. It washed out so much, and workers are trying to put bridges back in place.

      Delete
  4. I’ve been seeing the pictures and videos and they are heartbreaking. It’s good that people are helping each other though.

    I don’t know how I would survive if I had to depend upon others for food because I have so many food allergies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know early on it was difficult for my friends to find gluten free or meat free food being offered. But after a while that was also available. Allergies are a bear, aren't they! Yesterday I did my laundry next to a rabbit hutch at a friend's house...lots of hay which triggered me. I didn't comment, because the laundry was being done with clean well water...and eventually I could breathe without the hay allergy making me cough and runny nose.

      Delete
  5. ...I have driven I40 from Tennessee to NC many times. It was a horrible drive on a good day with all of the trucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it. I do wonder where they are all going to avoid that connection east to west. Another highway is now congested!

      Delete
  6. The situation seems to be improving — the water anyway. And the community seems to still be supportive. All the best with the plants.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.