Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! The view out my window Oct. 20, 2024. The red in the background is a dogwood behind the maple who is just beginning to turn.

Thursday, October 24, 2024

Early voting in North Carolina

CNN published that early voting in NC was 200,000 on the first day, Thurs. Oct. 17. 

That's about as high as was the voting for Obama when the state actually went blue for the first time since Jimmy Carter. According to a Wikipedia.

Just to give everyone some high hopes.


Here I was standing close to the doors into the voting room to take this shot...I'd been in line about 25 minutes so far. It wasn't too bad because some of the time my lower half, below the waist, had been in the sun. By the time I got to this place I was totally in the shade, and it was a bit cool and I was glad of my jacket.

Here's one of the women (there were a couple of poor women deranged by the lies I guess) sitting at Trump electioneering sites. There were lots more (not deranged by lies) at the Harris/Walz area, including providing a handy Democrat sample ballot.



The woman sitting in the middle of the room in a purple sweater is an observer. Guess which party she's probably from. Well, I have no idea, but there was only one, so that makes me lean toward our predominant party of Democrats here in Black Mountain. But then the GOP is more interested in finding faults in voting.

My ballot was cast and entered the machine as number 999 for this Black Mountain early voting site. 


Must admit the internet connection with Spectrum has been iffy for the last few days...off for hours at a time. So I'm glad it's working again. I'd ask for credit for the time it was down from service completely, but I don't mind paying for the linemen who were out there reconnecting me to the internet. I guess I don't really know when it was returned to service since I was gone.

I'm having to push myself to eat the good food that I have. I just haven't much appetite for some reason. And I had to make a new hole in my belt for my new jeans...for which I rolled up the legs that were too long. Too much trouble to try to send them back with iffy delivery still from Amazon etc. The nearest Amazon warehouse wasn't damaged by the floods, according to some news or another. Plus the jeans will probably shrink with the first wash.

--------------

Here's Open Culture showing the voting test from 1964 to keep Blacks from being eligible to vote in LA. Take the Near Impossible Literacy Test. You and I will fail!

---------------


Here's a PBS clip that talks about climate change as being a topic for each of the presidential candidates:


---------------

Today's quote:

There is always more goodness in the world than there appears to be, because goodness is of its very nature modest and retiring. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, biographer (1868-1956)


----------------

The sobering photo of the area around me after Hurricane Helene



13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is indeed. The crowd was friendly, and maybe mostly Democrat, just by the numbers of people talking with those that stood at the Democrat info table.

      Delete
  2. I have high hopes, it is good to see high numbers of people voting.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...a lot is hanging on this election!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our entire way of life, rule of law, democracy...nah, not all that much!

      Delete
  4. Good onya for waiting in the line. I'm sure that it wasn't the easiest thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually standing takes little breath...walking, now that's another kettle of fish!

      Delete
  5. I went to read that literacy test. How could anyone finish it in 10 minutes when some is intended to have multiple solutions depending upon how you read the directions. Thanksfully those days are gone but there are other hurtles that Republicans are trying to prevent people from voting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...it's like they must be sitting in smoke filled rooms (or the modern day equivalent, all on line from their deck chairs) brainstorming ways to turn the screws, or screw the people...it's all the same to them. Every cartoon, or even movie with super heroes, has a villain wanting to control the world. Well...there you have it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Barbara, Voting lines are fairly long over here in East Tennessee as well. Not much hope for the Democrats though as this state is solidly red... The number of educated older residents in our area who are pro-Trump is stunning. Going to be a close election nationally!
    Have you seen a copy of Southern Living Magazine...the November issue. Good News/Bad News! Black Mountain is a featured town..."Big Little Town". Mentioned are the Tailgate Market, Open Oven Brunch and Bakery, Foothills Grange, the Monte Vista Hotel, Seven Sisters Craft Gallery and Mountain Nest Gallery, The Old Depot Gallery, Chifferobe Home & Garden, Sassafras on Sutton, Hey Hey Cupcake, Cousins Cuban Cafe, Pure & Proper...and much, much more. Looks like your 2 million or so visitors per year will increase with the publicity... Lots of reasons to visit and move to Black Mountain! (Once the damage in the area is addressed) Interesting article. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see people making the effort to vote, it's encouraging.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.