Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Photo on Facebook was titled "Smoky Mountains in NC and TN" by unknown photographer.

Friday, October 18, 2024

Renewed friendship and being shown around

Since I've a backlog of photos from  my evacuation after Hurricane Helene, I'm afraid those are what are on the top of the pile.


When you've driven through Charlotte traffic on a week afternoon, but there are 3 times as many trucks and cars as the roads can handle, it does wear one down. So to have to climb 13 stairs with my various packs was a major chore (even though Martha carried the heavy suitcase for me.) And I was thrilled to see a crystal hanging in Martha's east facing window the next morning giving me a perfect spectrum. I still had trouble climbing the stairs.

So my first outing with Martha was in Pittsboro, the county seat of Chatham County.  You may note (if you remember a post from 2018) that they have removed the statue of a confederate hero!



A friend of Martha's has work displayed in this gallery.

And I'll skip the murals, because once I said I wanted a picture of one we passed, Martha drove me to various sites to see more! That's for Mondays though.


Pittsboro NC is a lovely town to browse in shops, but we had places to go and things to do.









Apparently Pittsboro is now known for many micro-breweries. (Sounds like Black Mountain too)


We visited a neat kind of community gathering place in Pittsboro, with this metal cut-out fence.



Some of the paper goods/plastic and even gasp, styrofoam cups which I brought back home and gave equal amounts to the give-away place at the apartments. I was determined to not use water to wash dishes etc, so I wouldn't use potable water for that, but it's a hard habit to break!

And you may have (especially if you follow Facebook) seen some of the shoppers who frequent Walmart, but I got a big kick out of being behind the Buddhist monk in the checkout.

 


As we returned to Martha's home, we were greeted by these lovely flowers and plants across from her driveway, planted by her neighbor.

I took more photos of her beautiful camelias...blooming in the fall? Yes! But you've seen enough probably by now. I dragged on and on about staying with John, not knowing what would happen tomorrow. But this is in retrospect now, and I want to move forward!






Enjoying her living room comfort we had to try for a selfie...not our best!

-----------











No comments:

Post a Comment

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.