Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! "The End of the Working Day" by Jules Breton, 1886. From Brooklyn Museum in Columbia SC Museum in Oct. 2024.

Monday, October 7, 2024

Living after the disaster

 Friday was the last day the town meetings were held in the Town Square to share info. Here's the Town of Black Mountain Facebook link.

I keep scrolling through Facebook where some updates are continuing. As of Sunday nobody could say they had water in Black Mountain, except a couple of people near the golf course apparently (where they had a spring for several homes.)

I know the head of Public WorksServices told his crew to take today off, after steadily working for 14 days, as he tearfully thanked them for staying on the job rather than being with their families during this disaster. That last town meeting in the square had words of appreciation with many tears by the leaders of Black Mountain. I'm so proud to be part of this small community.

These bucket trucks are lucky to have a solid ground to work from


Many animals have been rescued.

-------------

Which reminds me, I went to the UU Congregation of Columbia SC yesterday. I enjoyed the music which was familiar, and allowed me to cry. I felt welcomed, having been a Unitarian for around 50 years, off and on. Then they were supporting a farm which rescues animals as half of the collection. The man from the farm brought 2 tiny piglets and held them so we could all be wowed by the little guys, out of the 50 he rescued from a Georgia blighted farm where they weren't really rescuing pigs. Now you don't expect to see piglets in church every Sunday now, do you?

After the service hey had a lovely taco-serve-yourself, so I had lunch with them. I was impressed by their dozen of children who came to the "story time" early in the service. I hadn't seen so many children in a UU church in a while.

The music was outstanding, though where I sat the piano overwhelmed the choir, even though they were miked. There was even a drummer and an electric bass guitar player. 

Now I'm gratefully sitting in my personal retreat-nest...where I've contributed some groceries for the next couple of days...which John will probably prepare. I can breathe at least (which was the primary reason for leaving Black Mountain.)

I hope all the bloggers out there are doing ok, dealing with whatever comes along in your lives. Sometimes it's a little butterfly blessing, just a sweet thing that's unexpected. And once in a lifetime it's a mudbath and houses washed away in waters. But I'm a survivor, as are many of us. And I also believe love and kindness are the fundamentals of how people can interact together.

--------------
Oh I forgot! Happy Canadian Thanksgiving y'all!

---------------------------------
Today's quote:

There are two possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery. 

-Enrico Fermi, physicist and Nobel laureate (1901-1954)



15 comments:

  1. butterfly blessing and mudbath
    nice
    keep on keeping on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adrenalin has gone. I'm tired all the time. But don't have much demand on my time, so am able to read blogs and FB stories.

      Delete
  2. Such strong people in these mountains. Your church visit sounds so soothing...and piglets!
    Thank you for your kind words on my blog. I am trying to convince Larry to go to counseling and I think I made some headway this morning, but it is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the church was a good thing to do, and I'm glad I pushed myself to go. Sorry you have spouse problems. Wish I had a magic wand, geese, there should be lots of them around these days!

      Delete
  3. ...and yet another disaster is brewing in the golf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are heeding the warnings this time. Hopefully.

      Delete
  4. Even in dire straights your loveliness bubble to the surface- carry on, in your beautiful way. Keep breathing!!
    Piglets are such a fine distraction- a sense of wiggly pink hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I keep on keeping on, definitely. Today is baby steps. Lungs are complaining. Yes the piglets were really an upbeat surprise. Who would have thought going to church I'd see little pigs! (I'm not eating any pork for a while) He apparently rescued pot bellied pigs and is looking for foster homes and adoptions. Want a pig?

      Delete
  5. Happy to hear you are doing well. There are so many heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being among the elders of this event, I haven't been able to contribute much, except recording what I could so people see just what is happening. It's pretty unbelievable until you see the photos and videos. But I'm sure it was on the nightly news for a while.

      Delete
  6. It is good to learn you help each other-and the animals - still, be it music, food or "just" company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to hear that people come together to help others and animals too. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm so grateful when I see photos of these helpers.

      Delete
  8. Good to come together.
    Hope the next big blow doesn't get to you...this has been bad enough

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.