Update about blogCa

Monday, November 22, 2021

the very big grocery trip

 So I came home with just 4 bags full!

I leaned on my cart handles just a bit too much by the time I got to frozen foods. 

"What?" I exclaimed, "There are no frozen fake fish filets!"

So I got some fake chicken filets instead, though I know I've still got some of these.


I had carefully trolled through the produce dept. and stopped myself from buying everything I like...concentrating on, "can this make a meal for me, rather than a snack?"



I still returned home with two kinds of dips...and no chips or veggies to dip. So another trip is in order. I did get two kinds of salad greens, which was a goal. I gladly piled up some sweet breads for breakfasts, and frugally skipped the high cost berries. I also skipped the many bags of grapes. 

And I was headed toward the orange juice, which is on the opposite side of the store, in the back, while I'd been shopping the front. I didn't make it. The orange juice can wait 'cause someone gave me a whole bag of tiny little oranges. Did I mention this is a super store?

So unfortunately I had to do the self-check out. I was bleary eyed by then, but kept my mask on. I only had to get the manager's help twice. I've put away only the frozen things so far. Now I need to squeeze all these fresh veggies in with the ones that I already have. I keep eating the oldest first...when I go to eat. That's hard cause I'm rather tired of it by now. But it was a gift, and you know how you can't throw away gifts. (Watch me, today is the last day for a couple of these goodies!)

I have now returned from the land of the almost alive be-masked grocery shoppers. 



16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    We did our grocery shopping yesterday too. It is nice to see a well organized store, everything look fresh. Mask wearing shoppers are becoming a thing of the past here. we still wear our mask while shopping. I hope you are feeling better, take care. Have a Happy Thanksgiving week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an impressive looking place. We are doing a pickup today — training in how to do it for Sue for when I am incapacitated from foot surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done any pick-ups...because I shop based on what I see. I have a basic list, like mushrooms and potatoes and beans...but I'll also want some fruit, depending on what looks good. Hope you all have a good routine for when you're off your feet for a while.

      Delete
  3. ..I refuse to use self check out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to also, but when there are only 3 checkers and lines behind them, I sometimes give in and think I might just breeze through this time...which is always wrong!

      Delete
  4. We did our grocery shopping yesterday too. We went early and the co-op was busier than we'd seen it in quite a while. Ah Thanksgiving is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed finding some new (to me) places to get things. A carry out catering outfit offers prepared things that are vegetarian.

      Delete
  5. We did some of our grocery shopping today and will finish on Wed when we go to Aldi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do an Aldi trip, but then I've got to bring all those bags in the house and put things away. I'll wait till next week I think.

      Delete
  6. Grocery shopping is very difficult. Then putting the stuff away too. I helped my 89 year old mother with it the other day and she was very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to help people like me, it takes a few trips from the car just to bring everything in usually. But buying just 4 bags full made the trip more manageable.

      Delete
  7. Since I walk, my grocery trips might be two or three times in a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm finding smaller amounts at one time are a good idea too.

      Delete
  8. I went grocery shopping today and was whupped by the time I was done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an experience that has become more and more demanding!

      Delete
  9. You did very well to manage that ordeal! There's a superstore in the nearest town to me but I rarely go there as it takes so long walking up and down the aisles in search of what I want. Since Covid I've been ordering online and having a home delivery every couple of weeks. It was a bit hit-and-miss for a start but they've really got their act together lately and the delivery charge is less than I'd spend on train fares to get to the shop.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.