Update about blogCa

Saturday, November 6, 2021

From the past , a collection of Sepia Photos

 

Quaker Wedding at Holly Springs Friends Meeting House, NC. 

The various equipment and outfits needed in the Moscow fire department, 1903


Riding a tricycle put kids up high, which is what being grown up was all about!  A win win until the young ones took a tumble!


House where Edgar Allan Poe wrote the Raven, NY, NY.


Las Vegas Nevada, 1947


And it's another early tricycle, this time for mum and baby!



 Buckner Orphans' Home, now called Buckner Children's Home, housed more than 350 children by 1900 and continued to grow and evolve throughout the twentieth century in response to drastic changes in America's social climate. In the 1970s, Buckner established locations throughout Texas and developed services for the elderly and unwed mothers. Dallas TX

I must wonder about the elderly unwed mothers!!


1920s bathing beauties

1920s bridal group



Mark Twain, one of my favorite authors.


All of these shots came through FaceBook. I also have been looking through my ancestry, and have found several orphaned people, either adopted by others, or raised by grandparents. These things happened frequently back then. But even more recently, one of my best friends spent a few years in an orphanage when her mother couldn't care for her, until her grandparents adopted her legally.

Sharing with Sepia Saturday.

Today's Quote:

"Why," I asked the elder woman in my dream, "do you choose to not wear a mask?" She answered, "Because I want to be available to experience everything that comes my way." I said, "I see, I knew you were intelligent. So I figured you had thoughtfully considered it." And I thought, I hope you survive


27 comments:

  1. Hello,
    These are awesome images. I love both the tricycles images and wedding photos. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those images are so fascinating.
    Love the quote, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...these are great, the three children with their bikes is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always interesting, especially the bike with the pram.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great shots. Love the early tricycle, this time for mum and baby! Why don´t we have them today??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those kids with the BIG bikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than "Hot Wheels" which came along in time for my youngest.

      Delete
  7. These are all interesting photos. It looks like most, if not all, of the bathing beauties are eating apples. Just a fun photo, or social commentary of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that too, a subtle commentary of some kind.

      Delete
  8. An entertains group of images - my favourites the wedding group, and the children on trikes plus the trike rider pushing a prom - I have never seen anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those vehicles were a surprise to me. It's nice to see the bridal party in the 20s.

      Delete
  9. My favourites here are the tricycles - especially the one with the pram. Certainly looks a lot more secure and practical than a sight I came across recently, of a woman pushing a pram while herself balancing on a one-wheeler...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. Glad that babies have at least a full size carriage, though nowadays I frequently see parents running behind the kids, and not even being able to see their little ones.

      Delete
  10. So many photos that made me smile. I really liked the Moscow Fire Dept. and the woman on the bike/pram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I was amazed that some many of these came across my desk in less than a week.

      Delete
  11. Quite a varied medley of people and places. The tricycle pram was my favorite too. A few days ago I saw a man on an electric bicycle pulling a two-wheeled trailer with two small children riding inside. It looked pretty dangerous even with them wearing helmets, but yesterday I saw another father zipping along on an electric skateboard with his infant child riding on his shoulders in a backpack. That seems much too risky, even foolish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. Parents do take risks that are amazing. I drove around before helmet days on a bike with a kids seat behind me, which had a seat belt. But if we'd taken a spill the little guy might not have been at all pleased.

      Delete
  12. A remarkable and eclectic collection of images this week, one of which -- the photo where Poe wrote "The Raven" -- caught my eye. I have been to Poe House in the Bronx, which has been preserved, but was unaware he lived in another Manhattan house (the one pictured here), which has since been torn down. That led me to this article with detail about the house and the mantle that was saved from it https://untappedcities.com/2020/02/20/where-edgar-allan-poe-wrote-the-raven-published-175-years-ago/ Thank you for a very educational post. Some day soon I will go up to the location to look at the historic plaque to Poe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen photos of other houses where Poe lived, too. This one was a surprise.

      Delete
  13. A great selection of photos covering just about all the bases! Nice work. :)

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.