Update about blogCa

Saturday, November 27, 2021

A sepia collection again

 

Who are these people and what movie are they making?

OK ladies, aren't you glad you didn't have to make your feast this way?


And speaking of ladies...if that door leads to the "ladies room" where is the restaurant? In Breman IN, 1939


I love seeing these cabbies from London back in 1877




Del Rio Texas in 1934


Stage coach in front of the Beaumont Hotel in Ouray Colorado in 1890. I had lunch and met a ride in Ouray CO in 2019, but didn't look for this hotel. Fortunately my ride was a Subaru!



From 1891--1894 The Necheses Belle carried cotton and people up and down the Neches River (in Texas)

Not sure who was steering this contraption! 1886


Real pioneer family moving west...1886 in Nebraska




This strange contraption is a road grader, pulled by 20 mules, north of Taos NM, in 1925...photo by T. Harmon Prescott.  When I drove that area in 2019 there were a lot of rocks and mountains.


And who doesn't remember the tunes of the ice cream man during summer's hot days? Here's a 1946 photo of Doc McGregor with his horse drawn wagon in Corpus Christi, TX.

I'm sharing this collection with Sepia Saturday. Most of the photos have something to do with transportation...or maybe eating after you get somewhere.  

The movie was Rear Window, with the director, Alfred Hitchcock talking with Jimmy Stewart and  Grace Kelly, 1954.

16 comments:

  1. Great photos! The movie is Rear Window, I see Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly and Alfred Hitchcock.
    Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I dare say there are few of us who don't recognize it!

      Delete
  2. I don't know a gazillion movies, but I knew that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have it! Now if only Sepia Saturday were accepting new posts...oh well, they must have taken a holiday over in England!

      Delete
  3. Such wonderful pictures--they really bring the past to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how many I end up saving every week...and hope Sepia Saturday eventually posts a link again. If not, I've got my blogger friends to see these!

      Delete
  4. Rear Window is one of my favorite movies. Ice cream man music I don't remember but I did have a cat who every time he heard the music playing, he would run and hide and meow. He was afraid of it. We got him when he was 11 years old so I don't know what made him afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly well done, that movie, as most of Hitchcocks were!

      Delete
  5. Great pictures. I recognized Alfred Hitchcock, but not the other two. Never saw the movie. That's quite the hotel in Colorado. My husband just got back from there - elk hunting - and took a picture of an old falling down 1800s log cabin near Hamilton, Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great photos there. I remembered the movie, thanks for giving the answer at the bottom of the post though, because I couldn't recall the title!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fascinating collection of photographs. The teapot house looks as if it has stepped out from a fairy tale and I don’t fancy the precarious journey on top of that stage coach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fun to view. That woman basting the turkey(?) looks quite settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo montage...and of course that's "Rear Window" in the first photo. Although I don't recall Hitchcock in such an obvious cameo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another terrific assortment of images. I like your second photo best for its Thanksgiving connection. I feel fortunate to have known my father's grandmother when she still cooked on a wood stove. It wasn't as elaborate as the one in your photo but I remember that cooking on it required real skill, even for simple country food.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.