Update about blogCa

Sunday, November 7, 2021

What's been going on in Glasgow

 


The nations bicker, and proclaim, while the activists stage their ideas before the populace. What shall come from this summit?  

Led by Greta Thunberg, the Fridays for Future march underscored a stark divide between protesters and negotiators at COP26.

“It is not a secret that COP26 is a failure,” Thunberg told the crowd at George Square. “It should be obvious that we cannot solve a crisis with the same methods that got us into it in the first place.”




Vanessa Nakate, a 24-year-old activist from Kampala, Uganda, was among the many speakers addressing the inequities of climate change.

“We are in a disaster that is happening every day,” she said, noting that “floods are ravaging” different parts of her country.

Africa, she said, is responsible for only 3 percent of historical global emissions, and yet it is suffering some of the greatest impacts of a warming planet.

These countries are “on the front lines of the crisis, but not on the front pages of the newspapers,” said Nakate, who herself was on the cover of Time magazine last month. “How will we have climate justice if people from the most affected areas are not being listened to?”

I don't know much, except a group of leading men haven't got whatever is necessary to change things to arrive at a globe we can all continue to live on....and I'm not even talking about peace between nations who are at war in one way or another.

I and my friends have regular talks about what we're doing to heal the crisis. A friend is working on a very large art project to show how ordinary people are affected by the climate crisis. We don't have all the answers either.

What do you think?


14 comments:

  1. I think, part of the answer the politicians (local and federal) in office. Many of the politicians are controlled by the big money from the fossil fuels. We have to vote for people who want to help with the climate crises. Have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you and Thunberg. And at this time the people with the money are fossil fuel companies. Eventually that will change.

      Delete
  2. I just finished Rising: Dispatches from the New American Shore. It was a book group selection for our discussion this month on the 16th. I didn't think I'd like it but it was engrossing and thought provoking. We have done a terrible thing by filling in the tidal marshes. It's only going to get worse as seal levels rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book has been recommended to me as well. I'd not thought of the repercussions of tidal marshes being lost. I know the levies and dams have changed the health of many rivers.

      Delete
  3. I really don't know how things are going to change that will effectively protect our beautiful planet. Money controls everything, and the big money comes from destruction of our earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We individuals have to make our voices heard, like Thunberg does. Kind of the sit down strike attitude, or boycotts.

      Delete
  4. Having the wrong people in government positions adds to the problem. I think it's too late because people don't want to sacrifice anything. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't have a lot of faith in people these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly easy to feel that our governments are adding to the problems, and yet I believe grass roots movements may yet take us in a better direction.

      Delete
  5. I'm in agreement with Bill. As long as folks think they can beat global warming with air conditioners and sea rise with houses on stilts, we're doomed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I do still have faith in grass roots efforts to make drastic changes.

      Delete
  6. I'd be surprised if governments solve this problem in time. I would not be surprised if corporations got wise and built their own energy-saving systems. Some are already using solar panels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so alarming. Apparently, when there isn't a will, there isn't a way.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.