Update about blogCa

Friday, May 22, 2020

no clue it was my heart!

You've all heard that women experience heart attacks differently than men.

I had shoulder pain, all the time, and it wouldn't let up when I tried to lie down on my side to sleep. I'd finally gone to my general practitioner on Wed. after trouble sleeping for several nights.

But let me back up and just let you know what I already had going on...Bronchiectasis...the inability to clear mucous from my lungs which led to chronic coughing. For that I already had 2 kinds of breathing treatments, one of which was a C-PAP to help me breath while sleeping. Anyway, I had not been getting to sleep and had pain all across my shoulders. The more pain, the tireder and the more coughing, of course.

I also already took a blood pressure medicine, and that Wed. afternoon I had the highest reading I'd ever had at the Dr. office. So he put me on an additional blood pressure medicine.

My doctor also gave me Soma, a muscle relaxant, and prednesone, a steroid...for 5 days.  Nothing for the pain. I could tense my muscles, but then they wouldn't relax. My chest was just tense, a bit heavy feeling. No pain there. I finally took some ibprofen on Thurs. night and fell asleep. But Friday was more of tiredness. I didn't feel like doing a thing.

I can sit here at the computer for hours, and so I did that on Fri, but then was tired and tried for about 3 hours to rest. I remember raising my arms while lying on my back gave some relief.

I called the pharmacy to see if I could still take ibuprofen with the Soma, and they said yes.  I may have called the doctor's office earlier as well, but I'm a bit fuzzy about that.  They did say the doctor isn't working today. Someone said, it sounds like you might need to go to urgent care and may need an Xray. But it was close to 5 pm on Friday by then. And the only other option was E.R.

So I called my friend, Helen, who said she'd be glad to take me to ER. And away we went.  I walked into a kind of busy waiting area, after they took my temperature. I already was wearing my mask. I told them I had shoulder pain that went into my chest. A cardio technician heard me say chest pain, and she took me right away to do an EKG.

And it was abnormal, so off I went for more testing.

None of which showed a heart attack.  I had a CT scan, and blood work, and about 2-3 hours into much discomfort, a cardiologist came and stood at the foot of my bed and said:

"You've had a heart attack.  You've had a heart attack."

I never had an acute episode of pain. And so when I consider it now, I don't know when it happened at all. I now am very cautious of shoulder pain...since that was my only clue.

Yes in the next 5 hours I got a catheterization and a stent installed in my artery which was 100% blocked. More on that later...

But this is another patient who was female who had a heart attack without the standard symptoms. Pay attention ladies. I sure am!


10 comments:

  1. ...the signs of a heart attack can be so different in men and women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    That is scary, you had a heart attack and did not realize you had the symptoms. I am glad you are ok now, take care. Enjoy your Friday, Happy Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary times for you. I hope it is all sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this detailed account. It's really important to read. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for writing this down. It is quite a precautionary tale for us. I hope your recovery is going well. Been thinking of you, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not something to be recommended! I am sure it was more than scary to have this happen. I hope it is well under control and that with good care, a healthy lifestyle and correct medication it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you had to go through this but glad you are on the road to recovery. Thanks so much for describing what you went through - as others have said - it is so helpful to warn the rest of us. Sending healing thoughts your way as you rest, relax and recover! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is scary, so glad you got it sorted. Now you can begin recovery.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Take care and have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so appreciate your sharing this experience. You obviously remained very observant.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.