Update about blogCa

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Eating and staying safe!

Switching foods around.

My friend had a blood workup which showed she was pre-diabetic. Her doctor said she could lose some weight and maybe she wouldn't have to take insulin. She was worried about the cost of insulin going through the roof with all the medical insurance changes.
Buncombe County had 105 Covid-19 cases as of May 13 news...I think these are all that have been identified, out of several thousand tests. (They didn't tell us the death total, but I think it's maybe in the teens.)

So she went on a Keto type diet...all meat, veggies and maybe a few other things...but no carbs. So all baked goods were out...including bread and deserts. And I think even fruit, anything that would raise her blood-sugar. Absolutely nothing with sugar in it. She did it religiously and lost 25 pounds, and went back to the Dr. who said she had things under control. So she's still doing that. And she does have a good friend who also is doing this diet, so they share recipes.

She's going to drop a bag of flour at my house sometime today. I do eat breads, and cookies, and sometimes other things that are carbohydrates. Give me a potato and I'm in heaven.  I've got a cupboard with one that surprisingly enough has started to sprout. How did that happen? I've been eating other people's potatoes, that's all there is to it.

I'm returning a book to her which I borrowed back in Feb. It's hard to believe we haven't done much together since then.  I got her some groceries Tues. a week ago. That's probably the last time I'll go grocery shopping for a while. I keep hearing horror stories of all the people not wearing masks in the stores. I am at risk, y'all. I don't want a tiny little 4 micron size particle (virus) to sneak into my eyes, or hide on my sleeve till I take off my mask at home.  I have definitely learned how to not touch my face. I sure am going to be mad at myself if I get this sickness, because some days I'm not as full of disinfectant as others.

So there's a table on my front porch, which is the staging place for things coming in or going out of my apartment.

My friend just called from a barbeque place where we used to have lunch together. Now she gets the meat dishes, and I get the sides. I'm mostly vegetarian these days, except for fish. And the barbeque place makes delicious brownies. So I asked for one. It's still take-out here in North Carolina.

Today's quote:
There will be something, anguish or elation, that is peculiar to this day alone. I rise from sleep and say: Hail to the morning! Come down to me, my beautiful unknown.
JESSICA POWERS


5 comments:

  1. ...I've done Keto type diets, they work, but it is so difficult to stay on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am glad your friend was able to control the diabetes by diet. My hubby has been using insulin now for years, he loves potatoes and no one is taking them away. Your roses are beautiful. Take care and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she continues to avoid diabetes. I do worry about that diet long term though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly, I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and I literally weigh only 100 pounds. For me it's not my diet but my genetic predisposition. My father and paternal grandfather were both diagnosed with diabetes when they were in the 60s. I'm not making any changes to my diet (I'd starve without carbs!). Hope you and your friend stay healthy and well. It's a challenge these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started Weight Watchers a year or so ago, also lost 25 pounds, but ate anything I wanted to, just controlled portions. I did eat flour and sugar just not large quantities in one sitting:) We eat mostly fruits and vegetables anyway, it was the large Bojangles sweet tea and biscuits that was fattening me up!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.