Update about blogCa

Friday, May 15, 2020

Older ducklings

As I walked along one side of Lake Tomahawk the other day, I saw another family of Mallards, with ducklings that were a bit older than the first ones I saw (on yesterday's post).

 Mom Mallard led her 10 ducklings (I think) from the bank of the dam into the water.





 There was a male napping on shore...

 He didn't want anything to do with these kids, and chased this one back into the water, then disappeared somewhere else.

 The sluice that drains the water must have been full of goodies to eat, but I was worried that a duckling might get swept away. They didn't seem to have a care, and neither did mom Mallard.

I didn't watch for long, because I was actually there to capture a photo of the National Guard plane that was about to fly over. I did get some photos of it, and have posted them already.

Today's quote:
We often think that vulnerability is a kind of weakness, but there’s a kind of vulnerability that is actually strength and presence.
RAM DASS

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If just a few survive I'll be happy. Raccoons are known to be around.

      Delete
  2. The attrition rate must be very high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there will maybe be a few who survive to adulthood.

      Delete
  3. What a treat to watch those babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    The ducklings are so cute, love them. They do grow up quickly. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see so many with that one momma duck. I think they must have nested in someone's yard, where it was harder for raccoons to get at them.

      Delete
  5. Those Mallard ducklings are getting quite big, so they have a good chance of making it to adulthood. The male, by the way, seldom takes any part in raising the young. Once they have mated the female goes away and lays the eggs and begins incubation and that is generally the last they see of each other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing the ducks there. And I always love a Ram Dass quote. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A family outing, very nice to see.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.