Update about blogCa

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Mom's cornbread

 I cooked it in my large skillet...rather than a square 9 inch pan. I just haven't got one that size.



 so it was finished in 20 minutes rather than the 40 my mother's recipe called for.


It was pretty darn good, but very thin for my favorite way of eating it. I would split it in half and spread butter on it, then toast it till it was warm again, then drizzle honey on it. It tasted great that way...but I think I prefer less corn meal these days...it was kind of gritty.

Mom's Cornbread:
Flour - 1C
Bk Pwdr - 3-1/2 t
Salt - 1T
Sugar - 3 T
Corn meal 1 c yellow
Egg, slightly btn - 1
Milk - 1 C
Shortening/butter 1/4 C melted

Sift flour, add dry ingredients, sift again, add cornmeal, mix.
Combine egg, milk and melted shortening, cooled.  our into flour mixture and stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients, no't beat.
Turn into greased sq. pan adn bake 425 degrees 40 min. - cut into sqs. serve hot!



Quote for today:
Faith is a place of mystery, where we find the courage to believe in what we cannot see and the strength to let go of our fear of uncertainty.
Casandra Brene' Brown

13 comments:

  1. Hello, corn bread and corn muffins are my hubby's favorite. Love the recipe book! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot about corn muffins. A great idea!

      Delete
  2. ...had some chili and you are in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea...but I cooked the cornbread - you can cook the chili!

      Delete
  3. This is the way that it does. Sue made banana bread, and this old guy helped with some of the prep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I think a loaf of banana bread is in the near future here too!

      Delete
  4. love those stained and faded recipes. The best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've made at least one batch of them all...but maybe I saved a few that just looked good, they used to give them out at the food Co-Op in Tallahassee.

      Delete
  5. Looks yummy! I haven't made cornbread in years. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. I have had trouble finding bread for sale, but today I got a couple of loaves of mixed grains. I'm glad cause I don't have all those resources. They went in the freezer.

      Delete
  6. I finally replaced my recipe book just like yours, it was so tattered from use. I also use that exact same cornbread recipe, its sooo good!
    small world....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how these recipe books do have limited life spans.

      Delete
  7. Miriam makes the same cornbread her conservative Mennonite mother made - and it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.