Update about blogCa

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Al fresca

Eating outdoors.

We've been relegated to eating anywhere but inside a restaurant for the last 2 months. I didn't write down when it started, but everyone switched to "take out" pretty quickly.

So we would call the restaurants (I chose only the local ones that I wanted to help stay in business) and then go park at their door, and they would call us back when our order was ready.

But here are a few "pre-Covid-19" photos. They may not be sepia, but they do mean we enjoyed fresh air with our meals.

Oh, not Manet's 1863 Luncheon on the Grass. (I'd probably be the woman in the stream.)

I didn't get to join my son, Marty, at this inside/outside venue (in Florida.) It looks good, and I hope to eat there when I visit him again!

 Our local brunch favorite is Louisa's Kitchen here in Black Mountain NC (before the shut-down.)

In Santa Fe NM last summer, we enjoyed "cocktails" on a roof patio before going to dinner in the best restaurant in town.  We went to a couple of bars having cocktails until it was time for our reservation for dinner.

Having a dog with us, it was extra special in Taos to have breakfast on a patio as well...though it was a bit chilly.

We waited for a buzzer to let us know our table inside was ready...here my friend Teresa shows Helen something on her phone at the Pisgah Inn last spring. It's still closed this year.

Before all the social isolation, this porch was available for us to sit and rock and talk when the weather was right. However at this point all the rocking chairs have been locked up.  We are still being urged to wear a mask, and of course stay 6 feet away from each other.

Living in a neighborhood with seniors, I'm hoping we all weather this pandemic over the next whatever time it lasts.


And this is the Sepia Saturday prompt for this week. I think my meals outdoors meet the criteria~!

Today's Quote:
He said: "I don't quite understand about understanding poetry. I experience poems with pleasure: whether I understand them or not I'm not quite sure. I don't want to read something I already know or which is going to slide down easily: there has to be some crunch, a certain amount of resilience."
by poet John Ashbery 

6 comments:

  1. Hello, wonderful collection of photos. I miss eating out at our favorite restaurants, we have tried their carry-out. But, it is not the same. I like my food served hot. By the time I get carryout home it is cold. It is not wasted, I can re-heat the food. I heard eating outside may be better than inside? Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend! Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...we have been dining in these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had one pizza delivered since the pandemic began and eaten take-out bagels in the car once. Some people have been ordering a lot of take-out. There is a delivery company that makes this pretty easy for a fee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hardly ever (like never!) dine out. So no big changes for us. It's nice to see people able to enjoy a meal safely there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been eating outdoors every day, something we never get to do because of work schedules and I am getting very spoiled!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.