Update about blogCa

Friday, May 29, 2020

Mission Hospital staff with COVID-19

Where I was, before this happened. My stay in Mission Hospital in Asheville, NC started Fri. May 15, in ICU.  See my personal experience following this news that just came out.

The following was posted to Mountain Express on Fri. May 29 at noon:
"Six staff members at Asheville's Mission Hospital have tested positive for COVID-19. The employees all worked together in the same unit on one of the hospital's pulmonary floors.  
“This cluster of cases occurred in some of our most dedicated and talented staff, staff who have put themselves on the front line of this illness and who take pride and privilege in caring for these patients,” said Dr. William Hathaway, Mission Health's chief medical officer. “They are among the most skilled in regards to their knowledge of isolation techniques and of their use of personal protective equipment.” 
The cases were first identified on May 22. Contact tracing of staff members and patients was conducted before Mission determined it necessary to test the remainder of staff on the unit. As of May 27, no additional cases related to the staff cases had been identified.

As of May 27,  Mission was caring for eight COVID-19 patients, a number higher than the hospital’s previous two- to six-patient average. The hospital’s peak caseload to date, reached last week, was 12 COVID-19 patients, linked to an outbreak of the disease at a skilled nursing facility.

Hospital leaders say they are monitoring supplies closely and have ample supplies for patient care at this time. Hathaway noted that those hospitalized were nursing staff members, not residents."
----------------------
I'm pretty sure "Residents" just means doctors, rather than patients.
To continue a brief version of my hospital visit...
In the early hours of Saturday, (May 16) I went to the cardiac wing, then to an ICU for possible pulmonary problems/cardiac also - in a negative atmosphere room where nothing I breathed could go outside the room. And there was an "ante-chamber" where the staff would go suit up or discard their PPE clothes. I was taken out of that negative atmosphere room after my COVID-19 test was negative, then suddenly I got the stent procedure around 10 am on Sat.  and then I was in a C-ICU (for cardiac patients), May 16 (after having a CT scan which didn't show anything.) After having the stent inserted through my right arm artery, back to the same C-ICU for at least 2 days, cause I saw the same day nurse over 2 days. Then finally I got a bed on the cardiac wing again. And just 2 nights there and home I went on Tues. May 19 around noon.
So I'm wishing all those front line personnel - from nurses to housekeeping, from dieticians to   clerks...that they may all be well. For those who caught the virus, I hope your fortitude and strength will help you heal quickly. You were such fabulous caring individuals who paid real attention to my every need...and shared a bit of yourselves with me also.




11 comments:

  1. My, that was close to your hospital stay! Hope they all are recovering and the others working stay safe. Your blog has been so informative about your heart issues. It is very helpful to read what you have gone through to help prepare us for our possible futures. I head to the hospital next Wednesday so they can remove a tumor from my pituitary gland. It sounds gross but they go into my skull through my nose! Imagine! I wonder who discovered that easier way of getting to the pituitary gland. I will be in for 3-5 days but the recovery is much easier than having to go in through the back of my head.
    On a side note, my middle son is a medical researcher who works with a team looking at heart attacks. They call it "fixing broken hearts".
    Hope you are continuing to relax, rest and recover. It takes time but now you have time. Thanks again for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your hospital visit is a bit less traumatic than mine was. But then you're facing brain surgery, sort of. I like the name of your son's team. We can convalesce together over the next few months.

      Delete
  2. No doubt you are even gladder to be out of there if that is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually there was a big shock when I had to suddenly make every decision for myself again when I got home. I had kind of liked 5 days of being cared for by others. Not enough to go back though!

      Delete
  3. ...when I went in the hospital for my heart procedure I was quite concerned about Covid-19, fortunately everything worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about your surgery, and that there was recommendation to do it now. I'm glad you did, and that you're on the mend.

      Delete
  4. So glad you are doing well--may all those nurses come thorugh okay.They are brave souls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine their faces, behind masks of course. I would probably not recognize them without them! But they all had kind eyes.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to learn of your need to go into hospital, Barbara, but thrilled that you got 4-star care and are now home. The medical workers, nurses, and doctors deserve all our praise and thanks for their skill and dedication during this terrible crisis. Keep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I'm glad they are doing their jobs, and wish that none of them had caught the virus. They were pretty careful, though I did tell one nurse when her mask wasn't covering her nose that she wasn't properly masked. She said she couldn't breath. No excuse.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you are okay, but that was probably pretty scary news about the hospital staff. Take care there and stay well.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.