Update about blogCa

Friday, July 30, 2021

The palm trees creeping into my photos!

 

Not interested in War Memorials, and I sure know next to nothing about Queensland, or Southport. So where else can this image from Sepia Saturday take me in my images of yore?

Let's consider the lonely palm tree. It actually looks like another one bit the dust right next to it. So I'd guess the remaining palm proved itself more flexible to withstand some strong winds.





My family in 1969 at Busch Gardens, Tampa, FL. (L to R) my Mom, then oldest son, Marty, then Dad, then me hoisting younger son Russ. It was obviously wintertime! Bright sun and cold air. But there are a few palm trees in the background. I note that myself and sons are wearing our coats from when we lived in Connecticut, just the winter before this!



Go back another 32 years, and there's my father (with hair!) posing on a branch of a live oak (probably) in G.State Park in 1937. I think that's Garner State Park...a CCC work. It's in Texas, before my mother and father married in '39.


Not sure if these family members are standing in front of a huge palm tree, or some other tree, in San Antonio, TX . (L to R) My dad, then my mom, (Mat) and my grandmother "Mom", then grandfather "Pop." All dressed up for Christmas!



When I was engaged to this young man in Tampa FL, in about 1973 I took this photo...we broke up a few months later. I learned the hard way to not have a romance with a person with whom I worked.



My 3 sons, Tampa FL, 1981...Marty, Russ and Tai. (Russ was bending down and wasn't really that short!)


An album of shots...camping in lower r, but the rest of these shots are from St. Augustine, FL. The little boy is Tai, my youngest son. I sometimes scanned a bunch of photos at the same time, then planned to edit them with my photo editor, but I don't bother most of the time...so you get a small album at a time! 

And if you look closely, you'll see the bottom left photo has Tai standing next to a cannon at the fort in St. Augustine (Castillo de San Marcus) on a visit several years before we moved there. That will link back to the Sepia Saturday photo!



15 comments:

  1. Wonderful memories and family photos. I love palm trees. The shot of your father posing on the tree branch is great, but scary. Have a great day and a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not have expected my father to do anything that risky...but then he was 30 by the time I was born, so he probably had stopped doing such things by then!

      Delete
  2. You had me questioning what day it is. Stop. I have enough trouble with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. But see, I've got another Sat. post for tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. ...family photos are a treat, I wish that i had more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but there are a few old albums which need to be scanned still. And hot summer days would be good for doing so! Maybe...

      Delete
  4. Barbara, It's great that you have all those old family photos. I don't know what today's youth are going to do as most of their photos are stored in the cloud. Will they be able to retrieve them when they're our age? Very few print them... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it...everything shared is on facebook by my family...and very few shared in clouds of various kinds. My photos from the last 15 years are all digital, but I do have a hard drive with the older scanned ones on it...for whatever anyone might ever want.

      Delete
  5. I love the one of your dad in the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized I don't ever remember seeing him barefooted! Mmm, when you live with someone (Dad) for at least 20 some odd years, you'd think...

      Delete
  6. AC is for anivilcloud which has often been my internet moniker and is used in my email address.
    Bu I am also pretty cool.
    The AC is On is a play on words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busch Gardens and St. Augustine were places we visited on a family trip to Florida when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an inventive post to focus on the palm trees as a background to happy family memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice detail to pick up from our theme. Having traveled around the South, I know that not all palm trees are the same or even like the classic tropical island kind with coconuts. In Virginia Beach, some large palms are planted to imitate the California and Florida sunny surfs-up landscaping but in the winter the poor trees have to be wrapped up in blankets in order to survive. Not a good look. A better choice for the Atlantic coast are Live Oaks, my favorite tree.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.