Update about blogCa

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Being impatient

 

These two planters were planted with impatients at the same time.

This one seems to be having troubles, but is on the way back with lots of new leaves at least. I think the heat has hit the plants.


And a good example of the viewpoint of the observer, is this video from Open Culture "A Billion Years in 40 seconds" about Plate Tectonics. I couldn't follow any point very well, but watched it 3 times. Here's  the article about it.

My first interest occurred in 1960 when I ordered a Scientific American special publication about it...which was just beginning to be considered again in science, (plate tectonics theory) which had originally been developed 50 years earlier but not accepted by scientists. I also took a Geology course as a freshman in college, where it was at least discussed. Since then it has become much more accepted and much research supports it.

8 comments:

  1. I was in school in the 60s and remember our geography teacher being very enthusiastic about teaching it. Although I understand the thing my imagination still cannot grasp the enormity of the forces and time required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plate tectonics hadn't made its way too far into the curriculum in uni in the late 60s. I heard abut it but that is about it. Ten years later, I was teaching it in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Your Impatients are pretty. When hubby and I toured Iceland in 2019 we visited the national park where you can actually see the Eurasian and North American plates pulled apart. It was an amazing sight to see! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I bought some that were marked dow at Aldi and they are exploding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing the impatience there. So pretty.
    I think about tectonic plate activity here quite often. We live on the edge where two plates meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to have some years ago that did good and when we moved, we passed them on to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. While I stopped largely with the sciences in high school, I remember attending an open lecture about plate tectonics several years ago at my university. Fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess it was the sixties when I heard about it.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.