Update about blogCa

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Early blooming trees

 

Getting closer to the Bradford Pear tree down the hill from me...in the parking lot.

In the afternoon, the blossoms don't pop as much as they do in early mornings.






On the way home on S. Blue Ridge Rd, I had to stop and capture this beautiful old weeping cherry tree.




I'd guess this is another pear tree.

I think these are sourwood blossoms....now correctly idenified by a comment below, as Japanese Andromeda (I'd never heard of that name before!)



Downtown Black Mountain has it's own cherry trees!



Today's quote:

[Destroying rainforests for economic gain] is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal. -E.O. Wilson, biologist, naturalist, and author (b. 10 Jun 1929)






16 comments:

  1. The trees and blossoms are beautiful. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping and commenting...you must really be an early riser!

      Delete
  2. ...your "sourwood blossoms" are Pieris japonica (Japanese Andromeda).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've made the correction, then went looking for photos of each to clarify for my own reference...to be posted on next day.

      Delete
  3. Love seeing spring blooming and blossoming there. That quote is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much of society's progress seems to be based on destruction of beautiful things of the past.

      Delete
  4. You have them all over. Aside from one spot in town, I am trying to think of any great showings here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the birds have planted Bradford pears out in the woods, thus an ornamental tree has become invasive.

      Delete
  5. Those trees are gorgeous. They must smell nice as they blossom. Fantastic new header, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love catching those clouds, as well as the sweet bridge in my header! I love these short weeks when trees start blooming.

      Delete
  6. I did get to see some flowering trees when we visited VA a couple of weeks ago. We don't have any on our property but we did plant three rhododendren last fall and maybe they will bloom for us. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently cherry blossom time is happening in DC these days. I've only visited there once at that season and was thrilled.

      Delete
  7. I don't think pear trees grow in my area, but there's a microclimate in the Niagara area where they do grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told that landscapers have been asked not to plant the Bradford Pears as they've become an invasive non-indigenous plant.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! I love blooming trees. Our trees are still dormant as the weather has been cool. We have a flowering, non fruit bearing pear tree in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trees that blossom first don't have fruit...just my observation!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.