Update about blogCa

Sunday, March 27, 2022

Going to Montreat


First, for those of us in the western hemisphere, a map of Europe in 2022 with the countries' names on it would help! The EU/NATO map will be over on my other blog, Living in Black Mountain...


I found this very educational. Some of those territories are surprises to me.
 

Now back to Montreat...


There's a playground right on Flat Creek in Montreat NC. Now where is a place to park, I wonder...

There's no trouble finding the creek...it runs down the valley right next to the highway (a 2 laner which has 20mph speed limit in Montreat proper.) Montreat is home of Montreat College, which must have been on spring break, because I didn't see any students at all!

Just as the creek continues down hill, everything also is approached by walking down hill, and then uphill to return to the car!

There were a couple of parking lots, with these buildings with various fences around them...leading in the direction of the playground. The college buildings are off in another direction, and I think these are for camp or children's schools...or what?


I tried walking around 2 of the buildings, not seeing anyone, nor finding a way marked to the playground. I was using my walking stick, but my low back made each step painful...so many little steps.


I gladly stopped to snap photos with the phone!


So I went back to the car and drove along the road which was parallel to the highway on the other side of the creek, knowing the playground was somewhere in between them.

And the road started getting narrower, with many little homes along one side.

When I got here, I turned around.



And finally found an entrance to the park...with no parking there!

I'll share the playground with you tomorrow.

Today's quote:

Elders have one foot firmly in the ground of survival and another in the realm of great imagination. This double-minded stance serves to help the living community and even helps the species survive.
—Michael Meade
About Elders



14 comments:

  1. Even those of us who live in Europe have trouble remembering exactly where places like Moldova, Kosovo and Azerbaijan are. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are easier as they descend in alphabetical order as I learned from my father's old maps when I was very young. And now, should I ever come across Montreat again, I'll know it's not a misprint for Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember the E/L/L countries, but was surprised there's another one called Russia right next to them. How did I miss that happening? And indeed, Montreat is often signified as Montreal in spell check! It's mainly a Presbyterian retreat center for retired ministers and families, and a college of the same denomination.

      Delete
  2. I am sure that getting to Montreal is a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if just one letter changed would push me to Montreal, I think it would be more than a treat!

      Delete
    2. I have to wonder if it is pronounced treat or tree-at like Montreal is tree-all. Please answer elsewhere. 😀

      Delete
  3. You find the nicest places to take long walks. Montreat looks beautiful.
    Thank you for the map. It really does help to see where everything is these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started looking more in-depth to the maps...finding a new little country called Russia next to Lithuania!

      Delete
  4. I have a world map on my wall that I got a few years ago. I enjoyed looking at maps when I was younger and still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if your world map includes that little slice of Russia by Lithuania? Not connected by land to the bigger country.

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely spot! I enjoyed all the greenery, too. Come on Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...the Rhododendrons stay green no matter the weather, snow even can cover them. They do shrivel a bit at times. Soon to have flowers! That will be pretty!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. THanks William...some days do seem favorable for photos.

      Delete
  7. I like the creek. I wish I had traveled more when my ankles were tough enough to walk long distances.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.