Update about blogCa

Monday, March 7, 2022

A Cara Cara

 I just picked one navel orange off the pile at the grocery last week. That's because it's hard for me when my hands are shaky to peel an orange, and I have to use a knife. So sometimes an orange sits for days unappreciated.

This one was at least a week in my home, and who knows how many since it came off a tree, went into Sunkist's sorters, trucks, trains and so forth, before coming to me.

I cut the bottom and the top off first, then peeled the rest. Oh my goodness!

It's a new orange to me!

I made sure to save the label sticker and took it's photo...then enjoyed the tasty fruit. Not as citrusy as regular oranges...sweeter! Almost not  an orange!


Oh dear, that looks orange in the photo. Good thing there are still a few bites on my plate.


I hope to purchase some more of these...maybe eat one a day as long as they are available...if they still are at the store.  Maybe I can go shopping later today!


Today's quote:

Every person you meet knows an amazing lot about something you know virtually nothing about. Your job is to discover what it is, and it won’t be obvious.

Don’t let your email inbox become your to-do list.

Kevin Kelly

Kevin Kelly is founding executive editor of Wired magazine, and a former editor/publisher of the Whole Earth Review. He has also been a writer, photographer, conservationist, and student of Asian and digital culture.


17 comments:

  1. There are more varieties arriving in the shops lately.
    We found a different red fleshed orange last week..now I'm sorry that I didn't keep the label!!
    It had the small mini orange inside the top like a navel and was sweeter than usual too. Perhaps we are getting riper fruit in the shops?
    I remember the grapefruit trees planted as municipal street shade in Paeroa NZ...and the sweet ripe windfalls we picked up to refresh ourselves on bike rides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ex husband used to live on a lake in FL, where he had lots of grapefruit trees. I now am on meds that keep me from eating grapefruit.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    The orange looks delicious. That is an interesting quote, how do people actually really know all about you. Do they ask you, talk to you? Take care, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found four more when shopping yesterday...and there weren't many left. Our stores still have supply chain issues. Have a great week too!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are in season in winter, before strawberries which will be shipped in from FL soon. I prefer oranges!

      Delete
  4. You can get a little gadget designed to hep you peel oranges. I had forgotten all about it until now , but we used to have one. I can’t remember if it worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have finger strength to peel a navel type orange, not others though. I haven't ever tried one of those peeler tools.

      Delete
    2. They work very well! We have one that was given away with tupperware back in the day.

      Delete
  5. That orange does look delicious. Great photographs of it. I can almost taste it just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first of several that I will be enjoying. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. That looks like a very yummy Cara Cara orange. We get them here sometimes and they are delicious. Thank you for reminding me. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a treat in food that's also full of vitimins!

      Delete
  7. Admittedly my taste in fruit has never really extended to oranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. And I'm surprised at all the varieties that are available in the store!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.