Update about blogCa

Friday, March 25, 2022

The Community Gardens

 Someone suggested I should take photos at different times of these gardens.

That was a good idea, but there are hundreds of them (so it seems to me, no longer able to bend down for garden chores!)

Sharing with Skywatch Friday...there are lots of skies in these shots!

There are some plant starts under the little tent...being transplanted into gardens this week, this day!

From one end of the garden looking south to the other end!

From the east side looking west to the shed where tools are kept.

Some plots have probably stood just as is all winter long.

The new compost bins...I guess that's what they are, face the walkway rather than the gardens.at the top anyway...I have a friend who brings her kitchen scraps to these compost bins.






Several people were working on their plots when I walked around March 22 afternoon. There may be many a frosty night before Mother's Day (second Sunday in May.) That's the guide date for our last frost...or it used to be. Wonder how it is these days.

Today's quote:

Animal factories are one more sign of the extent to which our technological capacities have advanced faster than our ethics. -Peter Singer, philosopher, professor of bioethics (b. 6 Jul 1946)



25 comments:

  1. I think it is wonderful to have the community garden. If I remember correctly our frost date is later.
    Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May 8 is Mother's Day in the US. For the last few years mid April has been planting time here.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Everyone donates some of the food raised to Bounty and Soul, which gives it away to those in need.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the long weekend in May, here, I'm looking forward to planting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see gardening started. Ground is still frozen deep down here which is causing problems on the dirt roads turning them into mud traps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hated living where roads melted and froze again and again! I didn't live in New England but a few years.

      Delete
  5. i had a plot once. I lost interest. It fizzled. Very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in FL and was a student at UF in Gainesville, we had 2 garden plots. One was organic, and the other just anything goes. I didn't keep interested that well either, but used hay for mulch on both of them, so they did grow a few things.

      Delete
  6. That really is quite a beautiful community garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I'll concentrate on sharing the growth in just a few of the plots, so I don't go crazy!

      Delete
  7. Community gardens... what a wonderful idea! I don't know of any in my area. I'll have to do a bit of research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check with local colleges, and any agricultural extensions, they will probably know if there are some.

      Delete
  8. The community garden is a great idea. I used to belong to one a few years ago but then I moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, maybe you can help get one started where you live now.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. A short growing season does make it harder to grow a lot of things.

      Delete
  10. That advice is such a great idea. I think I'm going to do that myself, first find a spot I can photograph.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings and Salutations! Interesting.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.