Update about blogCa

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Some fun Sepia sharing

 

Oct 16, 1916 Margaret Sanger opened the first birth control clinic in the United States, located in Brooklyn, NY. The clinic was soon raided and Sanger arrested for selling birth control. She was the force which eventually resulted in Planned Parenthood clinics all over the US.


When I saw these women leaning sideways on each other, I immediately thought how their mothers had worn corsets which kept them upright whether they wanted to or not!

July 1939. Tobacco sharecropper's house. Whitfield family. Near Gordonton, North Carolina. by Dorothea Lang.

In the last 30-40 years, ever since the tobacco warnings led to laws where people could no longer smoke where they worked, nor inside most buildings...the tobacco farming industry of North Carolina collapsed. When I moved to NC in 2007 there were still small farms growing tobacco, mainly for the cigar industry which seemed slower to decline (I think.) Now, in 2021, there are almost none.

It's a different view from a doctor's warning to actually addressing a person's addiction to smoking. I can sure understand why some folks are still smoking or chewing tobacco...and feel bad about it, but wouldn't tell them to quit. I managed to finally quit smoking about a year before having my last baby, and I had my first 2 before I'd even begun the habit. I would like to lose weight, which certainly contributes to my own medical conditions, but none of my friends tell me to not eat a piece of pie when it's available and home made!


And recently was the anniversary of the graduation of these three women from the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania. 

1929 photo of my Great Aunt Margaret Miller. She taught High School Math all her life, but enjoyed going gambling at times in Cuba, back before the Communist regime.

Sharing these photos with Sepia Saturday this week!

Quote for today:
I​​ believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the rights of the people by the gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. -James Madison, fourth US president (16 Mar 1751-1836)


20 comments:

  1. Another interesting set of sepia memories. I never did smoke, probably because I saw the detrimental effects it had on my father's health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Good for you to stay sober from tobacco!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    These are fun photos. The baby carriages are amazing, they have changed over the years. The second photo of the women sitting sideways is my favorite. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...I sure think that photo had some laughs and giggles on the way to its production!

      Delete
  3. ...when it comes to birth control we are still living in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and men just don't seem to think that it's also their responsibility many times!

      Delete
  4. Some interesting stuff from Planned Parenthood to sharecropper and corsets etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never said there was any link besides being sepia!

      Delete
  5. A fascinating account of different aspects of social history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful look back in history. I've have a book about Dorothea Lang's work and seen the sharecropper's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some sad photos that she captured, of sad times!

      Delete
  7. An interesting combination of pictures and ideas. The arrest of Margaret Sanger for promoting birth control is a reminder that people don't like change and not surprisingly, it's mostly men who resist change - even today and not just to do with birth control. Women are much more apt to accept change in anything than are men and I've often wondered why? What are they afraid of? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more personal for women, birth control at least. Other changes, mmm, I'll have to think about that.

      Delete
  8. This post was like a chocolate box of treats, each different. Because of my interest in the history of women in music, I've come to appreciate the many obstacles that women faced in the olden times. That 1885 image of the three young doctors from India, Japan, and Syria is particularly striking to see. It must have taken amazing courage and determination for each one to travel to America and study. I've looked up their names on Wikipedia and was surprised at each one's biography. Sadly the woman from India caught tuberculosis and after returning to India, died in 1887 at age 22.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Mike...and I'm glad you followed further about the 3 young women physicians. That's truly sad that Dr. Joshee died so young, after her hard work to be able to help others who were sick.

      Delete
  9. I'm fascinated by those times around 100 years ago. In some ways so much like our own time, in other ways things have changed so much - and at the same time, a lot of things have not changed enough!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely fun to seriously look at the similarities and the differences!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.