Update about blogCa

Monday, October 18, 2021

Last of Asheville Kenilworth Studio Tour

 

I missed a step in one of the houses...it was higher than normal, and I landed on my bad knee...so I was a bit wiped out by that, though they took very good care of me, and I was able to walk to my car unassisted. 



My friend had to purchase one of the cups about the Flying Weiner Circus (they are actually Dachshunds doing tricks depicted on her works.)


I was so impressed by the beautiful and varied homes in this very hilly neighborhood! I'm glad we decided to drive around, rather than walk!




Today's Quote:

At least one way of measuring the freedom of any society is the amount of comedy that is permitted, and clearly a healthy society permits more satirical comment than a repressive, so that if comedy is to function in some way as a safety release then it must obviously deal with these taboo areas. This is part of the responsibility we accord our licensed jesters, that nothing be excused the searching light of comedy. If anything can survive the probe of humour it is clearly of value, and conversely all groups who claim immunity from laughter are claiming special privileges which should not be granted. -Eric Idle, comedian, actor, and author (b. 29 Mar 1943)

19 comments:

  1. A very good quote for these times.
    I love open studios, it is interesting to see how and where others work.
    Hope you haven't been shaken too much by missing a step

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, at least I was able to walk to the car, and drive (with clutch) to several more stops, but I did just stay in the car while Helen hiked into the later stops. I think it was my introverted character that had just had enough of talking with the artists. You know, you can't look at their wares like you would in a museum, without commenting!

      Delete
  2. They do have creative pamphlets to give you a clue about content. I guess that is what they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are the slightly out of focus pictures which I've included.

      Delete
  3. ...the building is lovely with the eyebrow dormer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so beautiful there. I love seeing your photos. Hope your knee is okay and that all is well there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! You're lucky to not have done more damage, I hope you're soon fully healed. I'm not sure how many studios opened around here this summer, less than usual I'm sure. It's easy to forget, amid all the foolishness, that comedians like Eric Idle actually have degrees from Cambridge University. Love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks...so glad you've heard of Eric Idle...I seldom get to see comedy acts these days.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you weren't too badly injured. I love driving around looking at houses. Most of them I could never afford!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THis neighborhood will have more of the homes showing when the trees lose their leaves. Then I think I'll drive around it again!

      Delete
  7. How is the knee several days after? Hope it's healing. I forgot whether I read that you made some purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knee has finally been without a bandaid half a day, and this time I didn't make purchases myself. But I do like that neighborhood.

      Delete
  8. The houses and garden are beautiful to see. Glad you didn't do serious damage to your knee and hope it heals well for you. My wife has fallen on her right knee through the years a few times and I fell tripping on a curb. We got to be careful where we step. Glad to hear that you are learning some Irish words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just purchased a hiking pole, which is adjustable and has a handle, as well as a wrist strap...so I plan to start walking with it, to give me a bit of insurance. Of course I wouldn't have received any help in each of my 2 episodes of landing on my knee so far...but the idea is planted that I need to be more careful!

      Delete
  9. Yikes--the knee! After several falls I have taken to using a hiking pole anytime I'm on uneven ground. Sometimes I relly need it and sometimes it's just a reminder to be careful.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.