Update about blogCa

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Sewing Machines

 For this week's Sepia Saturday, I'll be looking for some of my own older photos!

I've been resourceful (aka cheated) for the last several weeks, and just shared other people's photos from FaceBook. Thanks guys...most of whom I don't know even.

Treadle sewing machine in a local history museum.


When there was no electricity available, many a sewing machine could be used anywhere...outside the light was definitely better for making whatever a woman was inclined to produce. (Sorry, I don't know where this was.)

The first patent for a sewing machine was awarded to the British cabinet maker Thomas Saint in 1790. While it is unclear if he ever actually built a working prototype of his machine, which was designed for leather working, a machine built using Mr. Saint's patent drawings did not work.

Between 1800 and 1820, no fewer than five different attempts were made to build a working sewing machine, none of which were successful.

  • Antique Treadle Sewing Machine
    1804: Thomas Stone and James Henderson receive French patents.
  • 1804: Scott John Duncan receives a British patent.
  • 1810: Balthasar Krems of Germany invents a cap-sewing machine.
  • 1814: Josef Madersperger, a tailor, awarded an Austrian patent.
  • 1818: John Doge and John Knowles invent the first American sewing machine.

Then, in 1830, a French tailor named Barthelemy Thimonnier invented a machine that used a single thread and a hooked needle to make a chain stitch of the sort used in embroidery. This machine was powered by a treadle and what's more, it worked! Soon he had eighty machines going and a lucrative contract for army uniforms from the French government. His success was short-lived. Fearful of being unemployed because of the new machine, area tailors destroyed Mr. Thimonnier's factory.

1846 saw the first American patent for a sewing machine awarded to Elias Howe. His machine could create a lock stitch with a process that utilized thread from two different sources. Mr. Howe had difficulty marketing his invention and defending his patent. One of those who adopted his mechanism was a man who would make the treadle sewing machine a household item, Isaac Singer.


Singer Treadle Sewing Machines

Isaac Singer was the father of the modern sewing machine. Treadle-powered, belt-powered, hand-powered, and eventually electric-powered, the machines made Singer the foremost sewing machine company in the world. Until the 1950s, when Japanese-made machines flooded the market, Singer held a virtual monopoly on sewing machines in the United States. Today, the company is out of the sewing machine business entirely, having sold its sewing machine business to Germany's Pfaff Sewing Machine Company. Sewing machines currently carrying the Singer name are branded models built in Asia for the Pfaff Company.


Source: History of Treadle Sewing Machines.


Today's quote:

Even a purely moral act that has no hope of any immediate and visible political effect can gradually and indirectly, over time, gain in political significance. -Vaclav Havel, writer, Czech Republic president (5 Oct 1936-2011) 


Since Blogger is saying "my html is incorrect," it's possible this won't post correctly. Sorry about that!

31 comments:

  1. Hello,
    These sewing machines remind me of my mother, she loved to sew!
    Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sis actually used a treadle machine in her log cabin in her "back to the land" in the 70s. I may still have a quilted wrap she made me.

      Delete
  2. My mother had one of those until her father bought her an electric one sometime in the mid to late 50s. We still have the electric in the basement. She had it repaired many times, but I can't recall if it was working when she passed in 03. I think there is still some of her stuff in the drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother used one of these and I wish I had it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of oil every once in a while was necessary to keep it running.

      Delete
  4. ...a trip to an Amish community is like going to a sewing machine museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they have some machines like these...since they make all their own clothes. Very talented women.

      Delete
  5. I have a number of old sewing machines which I have on display around the house. They fascinate me, but I use my super dooper Bernina when I need to sew. Thanks for the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an electric Singer sewing machine that belonged to my Grandma Louise so I'm guessing it must be around 90 years old? She gave it to my Mom when Mom married and it's the machine I learned to sew on. When I moved into my own apt. I bought a Montgomery Ward brand in a pretty maple cabinet. After a few years that one gave up the ghost. By then, my Mom had gotten herself a new machine so gave me Grandma's Singer and I sewed on it for quite a while until I got myself a Singer portable. At that point one of my daughters was ready for a sewing machine of her own so I gave her Grandma's Singer. After a while, she bought herself a new machine and now I have Grandma's Singer back again. Unfortunately, the tension is now so muddled up I can't fix it and taking it to a sewing machine "Dr." would be expensive, so I use the Singer cabinet as a furniture piece, and my portable to sew on. I do wish I could fix the tension, though, because that machine sewed a seam as smooth as silk and it has a knee-operated speed control rather than a floor pedal which, for me, is much easier to control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept my electric sewing machine many years (the Kenmore brand sold at Sears) and finally gave it away about 6 years ago. It had the original owner's manual as well as bobbins.

      Delete
  7. "Even a purely moral act that has no hope of any immediate and visible political effect can gradually and indirectly, over time, gain in political significance. -Vaclav Havel, writer, Czech Republic president (5 Oct 1936-2011)"

    That is inspiring! I hope it's true. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too...hope it's true. Politics seem to go up and down in hopeful activities.

      Delete
  8. Interesting to know that Singer is now owned by Pfaff. I can still get parts for my 1920s and 30s models!!
    Has the museum researched the number on the data plate of its Singer? There is a website with a list of dates, and where they were made..many here being made in Glasgow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the date of it's machine. A good idea to find out, and I imagine they know.

      Delete
  9. A friend of mine who dealt in antiques once told me that old Singer sewing machines still exist in huge numbers as they seldom broke down and, if they did, could usually be repaired - and people keep them for years, even if they also have an electric machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great example of machinery which wasn't built with planned obsolescence in mind.

      Delete
  10. In the village school I went to back in the early/mid 1960s, they still had some treadle sewing machines. I had some of my first sewing lessons on one like that. I think they probably had some electric ones as well. I was never much good at sewing though. In 6th grade, catching up with modern times, we had one term of switching the traditional boy/girl roles: The girls got to try woodwork, and the boys sewing. And then in 7th grade, we were allowed to choose, and I chose woodwork! Years later when moving away from home, I inherited my mum's old sewing machine (electric, heavy, but simple). I mostly used it for "mending and fixing". I had that until I was 50(!) - then I got a more modern one. But it is still only used for "mending and fixing" ;) Actually I think the old treadle machines were ingenious, not needing electricity. Perhaps we should go back to them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for telling of your experiences with sewing machines, electric or pedaled!

      Delete
  11. Though I don't think I have photos of the sewing machines, I know I have clothing and quilts made by my grandmothers, and great grandmothers too, on similar treadle machines. Many years ago my wife found a wooden box thrown into a skip (British for dumpster) that turned out to be a hand cranked sewing machine made in Scotland. We still have it and it works perfectly. I've dated it to about 1898 and it was one of millions made and marketed throughout the British empire. I believe these early sewing machines were revolutionary tools that really changed the world. Sadly our society no longer values sewing skill as it once did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before the major industrial age where everyone could buy clothes manufactured, there was only home made on machines like these. They represent what was worn by many of our ancestors...at least the more recent ones.

      Delete
  12. I have my grandmother's treadle sewing machine. When I was a little girl, I watched her make doll clothes for me. It needs a belt. I'm pretty sure it would work if I would replace that essential item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's about the most fragile part, except maybe the springs that give tension to the bobbins.

      Delete
  13. These sewing machines are so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great topic! I had a treadle machine for a while in the 1970s. Someone left it out on the street in NYC and I knew what a gem it was, so with help from friends we lugged it up six flights to my apartment. Although there were electric machines by then, I loved the idea of exercising while sewing :-) Had to leave it behind when I moved to a smaller place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such great old machines, which can still be refurbished without much cost usually.

      Delete
  15. I loved seeing the old iamges of the Singer treadle sewing machine, as there was such a one in my grandparents’ house which I remember from the early 1950s. The three daughters all learned to sew on it and make their own dresses. My mother was apprenticed to a tailor at the aged of 14 in 1922 and later set up her own dressmaking businesses in the family home – I only found her business card among her papers after her death. The unusual factor was the house did not have electricity until the mid 1950s, as my grandfather objected to getting it in . Once Mum was married, she could not wait to get an electric machine.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.