Update about blogCa

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Learning a new language and/or listening to wise people

 



Very well organized Gaelic Language book from the library


I'm pushing on through the other books on my bedside table, and opened this to see the organization of it. Oops, it goes with a cassette which was not sent along from the library. Oh dear. So as much as I'd like to learn the pronunciation, I think I'll have to go elsewhere.


And lots of other languages are available all over the place. But Gaelic is not considered one that's available in any of the lists I've found on line. I'll keep looking!

On Friday last week, I surprisingly had 2 speakers to listen to, both of whom I think of as wise. First  
 Dr. Martin Shaw Speaking of this Epidemic via YouTube below. I love the way he blends the importance of myth with the experience of our current world views.



I'll share the link to the other wise person tomorrow.

Today's quote:
Our nation is shaped by the constant battle between our better angels and our darkest impulses. It is time for our better angels to prevail. -Joe Biden, 46th US President (b. 20 Nov 1942) 

22 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I have to find a way to make the sound on the video louder, will save this speaker's video for later. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the little bar next to the volume symbol turned down, you can turn it up for your soundd system.

      Delete
  2. Canada is, theoretically at least, a bilingual country, but I never learned much French. I thought I would make it a retirement project, but when you can't hear your own language well, picking up a new one is highly improbable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had French in 7th and 8th grade, and all I remember is some vague pronunciation rules...not much meaning. Seldom run into it.

      Delete
  3. I've always been intrigued by Gaelic--isn't it wonderful how many opportunities to learn new stuff are available now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And catch up on things I have always wanted to do, though I don't like calling it a bucket list.

      Delete
  4. ...I have a hard enough time with English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of fun with English. My sons and I would drive around on trips and work on strange ways words work, or mean, or don't mean!

      Delete
  5. Are you learning Gaelic? Interesting thing to pursue. I had French in high school and college. So very long ago (il y a si longtemps!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good for you. Me it was Spanish. And I got much more bi-lingual when flying with Pan Am in Latin America...but that was many years ago!

      Delete
  6. I must admit I've never got far with even pronouncing the Gaelic of either Scotland or Ireland, though I'm pretty good at Welsh place names - the result of leading walks in the mountains of the principality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is harder to me, because the pronunciation seems so different than English, but I may learn otherwise with trying Gaelic!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Barbara. I just wanted to thank you for the perceptive and thoughtful comments you leave on my blog. I always look forward to reading what you have to say.

      Delete
  7. Love the Biden quote but I don't think we're there yet. (or even close) You chose a difficult language to try to learn. Spanish is much easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and I was continuing Spanish before the pandemic. I may go back to that pursuit.

      Delete
  8. Pronunciation is hard for us too but we can listen to the radio. When we ride the bus most people talk the language. Our area speaks Irish most the time, the signs are in Irish and the library has their books listed in Irish. You can learn it on duolingo for free.

    https://www.duolingo.com/course/ga/en/Learn-Irish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I knew my blogger buddies would help me out! Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Try Duolingo...they have Gaelic, I have started the Scots Gaelic one..having a job finding Me time so that I can get on with it without an audience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my sister-in-laws was born and raised in Ireland and learned some Galic in school. There are still soem areas of Ireland where it is spoken. Good luck, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.