Update about blogCa

Monday, August 30, 2021

The Gulf of Mexico

Not me...just a granddaughter and her friends, with her mom and another mom!



My daughter-in-law, Michelle (not in these pics) and swim friends of my granddaughter (in white suit just above) went to Destin, FL, on the panhandle, for a last hurrah vacation in August. They left to come home just before Fred the tropical storm hit pretty close to where they were. Then they drove home through Atlanta, while Fred dumped a lot of wind and rain throughout Georgia and North Carolina...and they were back in Ohio by the time the rains got bad (if they did...I'm guessing on a lot of the timing here.)

Last year the same family from OH went to the outer banks of NC just in time for another hurricane to hit there. They have been pretty lucky to not have any real damage where they have been. I'm so happy and amazed. I read forecasts before going places...and am pretty hesitant when rain storms are known to be somewhere. But tropical storms and hurricanes...no way I'd be anywhere near them! I am glad I didn't know about the family being there either time until after the storms had passed by.

And since compiling this blog post, another Gulf storm, Ida, is due to hit Louisiana, about the same time Katrina made landfall on this date 16 years ago. I remember flying from Tampa to Denver early that morning, and how our plane went around the storm and we could see it out the windows (being higher than it was) as we skirted the Gulf coast.  The Gulf of Mexico is a petri dish for creating storms in the summer/fall months.

Today's quote:

Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present.

ALBERT CAMUS

16 comments:

  1. Hello,

    The storm are really scary, I was watching some scenes from Storm Ida and Louisiana on the news last night. The photos of the girls are cute, sounds like they had a great vacation. Have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That body of water sure can change its face! I saw the waves and over 140 mile per hour winds hitting New Orleans and the coast of Louisiana also on the news/weather station. Thanks for good wishes...and the same to you. Love your Mon. posts and you don't have comments available! Ha! I just commented on the moose!

      Delete
  2. ...what a happy bunch, I hope that they all stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That group had already been exposed to the virus (one way we say "stay safe" these days) and my granddaughter tested positive and went into quarantine back when it happened. Hopefully they all have been vaccinated as well.

      Delete
  3. Nice photos! I hope everyone stays safe in all ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are my wishes as well...safe from viruses and storms!

      Delete
  4. We've had our remnants of tropical storms hit when we lived in MD. Tropical storm Irene hit here in NH & VT 10 years ago before we lived here and the newspaper is featuring stories about what happened then. Pretty devastating to lots of folks. I feel bad for LA and MS where this hurricane has hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ended up being a pretty horrific hurricane. I dare say those without electricity and with damaged homes are not very happy today. Hope IDA blows herself out soon (it's Mon afternoon when I am writing this.)

      Delete
  5. Wow! You could see it from the airplane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, much like a satellite image, but not from as far up. We were maybe a mile up or perhaps less. It wasn't with the eye showing, just a huge cloud that stretched all the way to the horizon, while on the other side of the plane were blue skies.

      Delete
  6. I have seen the Gulf once. I'd like to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. August is a risky time to visit the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But hurricane season lasts to Dec! So all summer/fall, it starts in June. Anyway, I've lived near beaches for years...and the wonderful blue sky days do outnumber the storms. At least until climate change came along!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.