Update about blogCa

Saturday, August 14, 2021

Last of my car show visit

 


1932 Ford All Steel



This may live in Black Mountain, but I didn't check further.

I have dated a few gentlemen who owned red Vetts...but never a yellow one!

I'm pretty sure this car lives in town.

This one is for sale, and the owner wanted to get out of the pic, but I told him no, that he'd done the work, so take the credit!

My 56 Chevy never looked this good! It was white and turquoise.

The sun was hot on Sat. last, and there were some smart folks hanging out under tents.

And a bit of a fun photo that was published on FaceBook this week...well, I sure wouldn't want to be in his seat at that moment!

Why, you might wonder, does a 78 year old woman like old cars? I like gadgets, and construction, and engineering and well made things. I was thrilled to see the collapsing ladder that the cable repair man had, which could extend to 14 feet, or down to the step ladder to reach into my attic. A very well engineered piece of equipment. It should last another 50 years!

Sharing with Sepia Saturday, because it's Saturday again! Some of these vehicles definitely would qualify as antiques!


A busy street in Istanbul not that long ago...but again, people walking along looking at different things, and at least one car whose identity is hidden.

Today's quote:

Imagine a country whose citizens—maybe even its leaders—are brave, calm, and open towards each other; a country whose people realize that all human beings belong together as one family and must act accordingly; a country guided by Common Sense.

BR. DAVID STEINDL-RAST

A last minute addition from NPR...
Upgrade Your facemask

19 comments:

  1. No need to give a reason for liking old cars and mechanical things. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it...at my age I just chose (somewhat wisely) what to indulge in.

      Delete
  2. ...GTO put the muscle in muscle cars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the engine of my sister's GTO that was incredibly loud...like a lion purring.

      Delete
  3. Hello Barbara
    I like the cool cars, I really like that yellow Corvette!
    Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise to me. The engines were all incredibly clean, and many had chromed pieces in there!

      Delete
  4. Love seeing the old cars. We have a vintage car show here every summer. It's always so cool to see these old vehicles driving on the roads in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a kick out of seeing one in a parking lot every once in a while...as if you'd go do shopping in it!

      Delete
  5. Before the uknowwhat there would be a show or at least a car get-together every week in summer. I see that a retirement residence is going to host something or other this week. I don't know the scale as I think the venue isn't big. Good photos are car events are about as scarce as hens' teeth. Some pro photogs have been known to ask for a special shoot of an attractive car in a good location at a good hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would imagine the people who wipe each speck of oil away from an engine, would prefer a pro photographer...but I was grateful to have a sunny day...however it was noon sun which proceeded to wipe me out. I've never been to an indoor car show, but have seen the photos in news clips, with rotating stages and models standing next to the overly lit shiny vehicles.

      Delete
  6. The old cars are a welcome sight.

    Unfortunately I see too much of the other kind of car collector: the Fast and the Furious inspired sort who customize their cars to make noise, use under lighting and other effects, and otherwise stand around and take endless pictures of their cars and their buddies cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a group of cars of interest to those who have the underlighting and very loud bass music playing...but I do occasionally hear that music going by, which of course shakes the windows a bit.

      Delete
  7. I don't particularly care to examine their engines, tho' I know guys are usually interested in that part of a car show. But I do enjoy seeing the really old cars fixed up so well. Some folks try to stay with the original look of the car, some like to snazzy them up. I like either, but the snazzy ones are maybe just a little more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see these normal (stock?) cars with chromed carbonator covers (if that's what they're called.) I had no interest in the engines either. It was fun to see the variety that was in this show. I wonder if they come from around this area in the mountains!

      Delete
  8. We all have things that make our hearts beat heppily. Why not cars? Love the quote but Common Sense seems sadly lacking everywhere in recent times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still find it strange that vehicles that were a part of my growing up are now considered vintage and antique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These car photos are fabulous. I particularly like the black Chevrolet. I'm dating myself to admit that I remember when those cruised the highways! That red interior is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific photos! I wish I had been there, but I think I avoid antique car shows because I could easily become a fanatic collecting enough broken parts for my own junk yard. Recently a decent looking 1970s white Lincoln Continental has been parked on a street in our neighborhood. It's as big as a pontoon boat but doesn't have any rust and the interior is immaculate. I used to think that 70s square corner style was ugly, but now 50 years later it's surprising how classy it looks. Probably gets 10 mpg and burns oil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post for 8/22 does not link on Sepia Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.