Update about blogCa

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Flowers from Ingles (and our flood yesterday)

 

I picked up more blooms last week at my local grocery, Ingles. They were close to the same price, but in small batches so you could make your own bouquet. I went for the colorful mums. 3 bumches for $10 was reasonable, and kind of crammed into my vase.





When I was arranging them, I got whiffs of mum. But after they sat over night, I couldn't detect that familiar scent. They may last a bit longer...which of course is my aim. They do give me a smile whenever I glance in their direction.

And I have big news (for me anyway!) I heard the Ingles Grocery in Black Mountain was offering booster shots for the COVID vaccines. So after having my blood drawn  Tues. for a doctor visit later this week, I went to Ingles and was given a booster shot of Moderna. Some friends were there just before me, also having the same word-of-mouth source, getting Pfizer boosters. I only had to show my drivers license and my medicare card, and they added the booster info to my COVID-Vaccination card. No waiting to see if I had any side effects either.

And in the weather Tues...we were hit pretty hard by the remnants of Fred, the tropical storm. Here's a photo of Lake Tomahawk, where a lot of rain flows.

 Photo by Michael White

The outflowing chute under the pedestrian bridge.

Lake Tomahawk, Aug. 17. 2021 with flooding from Tropical storm Fred.


Where Pagettetown Rd. comes into 70...right as an exit from I-40 west enters Black Mountain

photo by Matthew Koppi

The paint company parking lot, with Old 70 above (where the woodworking and auto shops are) water flowing down to Hwy 70. about 1/2 mile from my house. I know the Swannanoa River is over its banks, and whatever flood markers are out there, it's probably gone higher.

Tomorrow is due to be dry in the morning. I'll see if I'm allowed to get where the river goes under Blue Ridge Rd. It's bound to be over it at this point.

Today's quote:

" Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things break, and all things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you." 
- L.R. Knost 


17 comments:

  1. Congrats to the booster! Well done.
    I hiope the floods have receded and not too much damage is left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I haven't gone out yet (Wed.) to see what the sunny day has for us.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Congrats on the vaccine booster. Your flowers are gorgeous, fresh flowers make me smile too.
    Wow, the flooding looks bad. I hope you do dry out today. We are getting lots of rain today.
    Take care, have a great day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you got whatever was left from Fred...in Virginia...or is it Maryland? SOmehow I've not kept your placement in my mind.

      Delete
  3. ...mums the word. What a muddy mess!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm enjoying the mums...haven't checked on the mud yet.

      Delete
  4. Good news about the booster shot! I'll be checking to see if they're available here in Madison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish those who haven't even had a shot yet will get theirs. That will be more important in beating the virus back.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on getting that booster shot. I'm looking forward to whenever they start offering them here.
    That is quite a lot of flooding you had there. I somehow missed the news about that with all the other chaos going on in the world.
    Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, our little corner of the world isn't noteworthy when fires are destroying so much, and Afghans are trapped with the Taliban. And I found out that Lebanon is having a lot of problems too, but they don't make the evening new either.

      Delete
  6. Wow. TO take these photos of the flooding meant you were out in it. Driving? or walking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them on our Black Mountain Exchange facebook group. I should have given the photographers credit, shouldn't I?

      Delete
    2. I just found 2 of the photographers.

      Delete
  7. The flowers look good and the flooding bad. Boosters. It goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still wearing masks around people. I did go around to some of the flooded places today, nothing there but dried mud and branches.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.