Update about blogCa

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Unnamed Journal

A journal of each day for a whole week. (as hosted Here)

 Monday, August 22, 2022

Waited all day for a call from an insurance adjuster. Finally a call from my local agency. Gave me the name and number to call to have adjuster go see car in impound lot. After 5 so I waited till next morning.

Had a nice lunch with C. at Ole's Guacamole, my favorite Baja shrimp tacos. Listed to a Louise Penny novel in the afternoon and evening on the mini iPad...one I don't remember too well, as it took place in Paris (at least the first part). I probably have read it, but the advantage of being 80 is that I forget things I read 10 years ago!

Today was my dear daughter-in-law's birthday, Barbara B, who has a macaron business selling at various venues of pop-up variety and the street fairs of St. Pete and Tampa...as well as some conventions. Anyway, she's either baking them, or selling them, and couldn't take the weekend off to come to the mountains. I missed her fun quirky slant on things!

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Well it's finally here, the 80th birthday of this incarnation! I've led a rather unexciting life, but did push the envelope a bit as far as trying to do things that were not expected of me...at least from the former generation. I've talked enough about my life before on blogs.

Retired in 2007 at 65, and moved here to Black Mountain NC. where I spent the next 12 years making and selling pottery. Now after one heart attack I'm not sure what I'll do next. Something to help with adjusting to climate crisis I think.

Lunch at Trail-head, another wonderful restaurant here, with another wonderful friend (who's older than me!). Then she helped me do some errands. I got a call from insurance that in 48 hours I'll know what the status of the car is.

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Finally got a document from insurance about the car. They offered me a check for complete loss of car. They call it "totaled." I'm not sure that I can find another used car that's in as good a condition as this one. I had a good zoom conversation with two men from church to determine what the best course of action would be.

Thursday, August 25, 2022

H. drove me around to get some checks ready to buy some new (to me) car. She also took me to the impound yard to get the rest of my things from Grey Hawk. It's sad to say goodbye to a car that has been so reliable, and taken me so many places.


Friday, August 26, 2022

I just wanted to stay in bed. So I did. Till someone called with a recorded message. Oh well, I needed fresh coffee. And then look for cars on line. Ugh. I hate shopping of any kind. I will probably take the first car I see that meets my needs, price, durability, age, etc. I am definitely grieving for the loss of my little car.

Saturday, August 27, 2022

Friend took me to meet another friend for lunch, then to our big grocery where I got just what I could carry in 5 bags. Talked with son #2 about cars...and looked at my favorites of the ones my friend has posted. I haven't been able to find anything myself. Talked with friends at lunch as to what I could do with some left over Kaiser buns...for the pot luck at church tomorrow. They wanted me to make sandwiches. I don't have the energy to do that. May or may not take them, depending on how I feel in the morning. Friends will pick me up to take me and bring me home. What a great community meeting the needs of others.

Sunday August 28, 2022

Got a ride to church, and home. Didn't fix anything for the pot luck, and I was the last person to get a plate in the line (we don't use plastic or paper goods, being Green) and the few people behind me got bowls. I just decided I had enough to do, and making little sandwiches just wasn't in me. I did mention that I needed to find a car, around 10 years old. It was great to see all my friends too!

Today's quote:

George Santayana said "History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there."

16 comments:

  1. Hello ,
    Happy birthday to your daughter. I wish you good luck with the car shopping. I am glad you have friends that can take you out to lunch and to the church. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...you are a much more organized person than I, keeping a journal isn't my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to push myself some days to put something down...or to just take the time. It's like other things I do regularly.

      Delete
  3. I love that you keep a journal like this. I should try it. Then maybe I would stop asking myself, "When did I do that? What happened that day? etc."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. And I don't do it daily, but don't dare leave it more than a couple of days, or I'll forget what I did completely. Fortunately I'm no longer doing a food diary...where I kept forgetting what I'd eaten for breakfast the day later...so I often looked like I was starving!

      Delete
  4. Ugh about the car. I also hate shopping and know almost nothing about cars. Good luck with that! And happy birthday! I'm learning about making transitions as I age and you seem to have done well. I like to think of it as continuing to bear fruit. I listened to all of the Louise Penny books on walks during the pandemic. When I finished and her newest one wasn't out yet, I started over at the beginning - repeated about four. They were just as good the second time around and it was fun to see future events and people introduced in the early books. Oh - a monastery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it's been for me, but getting them from the library, I've always had the books out of order. And with her interesting flash backs which fill in more information that the last story didn't even include, it didn't seem to matter that much!

      Delete
  5. There's a car waiting for you out there. My son in law has had success with FaceBook marketplace. Not being on FaceBook I'm not sure what that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, but am looking at our local Craig's List. And some of the car selling sites. And we're looking in person now too.

      Delete
  6. Car shopping is the pits. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't like going for a Sunday drive and saying, oh let's stop and see what's on the car lot! At least not for me, and not yet.

      Delete
  7. Such a pain about the car. I loathe shopping! I hear you.
    I don't like rereading books, except, as you say, I tend to forget them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'll never read all the books on my "reading list" in this lifetime. Which seems an eternity long right now...a bit of a fantasy of course.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I actually apologized to the woman whose car I hit, that I'd interrupted her life. Little did I know what was in store for me for the next weeks...looking for my next transportation!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.