Update about blogCa

Monday, August 8, 2022

A rainy Monday will not get me down

 


Million flowers in a hanging basket...


Shared with marigolds.


Coleus is going to town!




Moving this shallow planter to partial shade has saved these little marigolds. I love deadheading them and the scent on my fingers.


And the towering basil does need some picking, wouldn't you say? Since it was rained upon yesterday, and is cloudy this morning, I will try drying some. Usually don't have good results ...with the dry leaves almost tasteless. Hints appreciated. 

We had a good shower yesterday, and another one today (typed last Mon!) I loved having the windows open where eves shelter them, listing to the rain hit them...it's a fabulous noise. You can taste the moisture in the air, and when I touch my hard furniture, they're all covered by a fine mist and ready to mildew at the drop of a hat. So I'll have to turn the a.c. on again, and miss hearing the birds and the traffic!


Today's quote:
There are a few times in life when you leap up and the past that you'd been standing on falls away behind you, and the future you mean to land on is not yet in place, and for a moment you're suspended knowing nothing and no one, not even yourself. -Ann Patchett, writer (b. 2 Dec 1963)

17 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind a rainy Monday right now; more hot dry weather forecast this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...a rainy Monday would perk me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Your basil looks great. Love all your pretty flowers and plants. We could use a little more rain here.
    Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd happily send some of our rain to you! We have a couple more days forecast with these intermittent thunder storms.

      Delete
  4. Our petunia painters got quite battered in yesterday’s rain, but at least that oppressive heat is gone for now. The temperature went down 4C in about an hour this morning, and the skies are cloudy all day. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd certainly like rain right now, and cooler days. I never dry herbs, always freeze them, just as they come, and they keep their flavor for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good to know. When I tried freezing basil leaves, they turned almost black...and didn't thaw very well. I may try again!

      Delete
  6. Your flowers and basil are beautiful. Our basil hasn't gotten that tall yet, but it is starting to flower already. You remind me that I need to go out there and harvest some of that. It's so yummy. I'm glad you are getting some drizzly rain, I wish we had some here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd happily send you some of our rain. Keeping things inside dry is the chore...like my shoes had to go through a puddle to get in my car, and now they squoosh with each step though the outsides are dry.

      Delete
  7. Lovely flowers, Barbara. I am not a fan of summer heat but I love summer's flowers and fresh vegetables. I grow basil every year. I pick off the leaves. wash and air dry them and then puree them in my food processor and put the puree into ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen I pop out the basil cubes and store in freezer bags. That way I have fresh basil for tomato sauce and garnish etc, Some I whirl with olive oil, a bit of garlic, grated parmesan cheese and ground pignoli nuts ( walnuts can also be used) to make pesto which I also freeze in small amounts to use on pasta or fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea(s) you've given me, Pat. Thanks a bunch. I will definitely try to freeze after drying and puree-ing. Do you add any water to puree? I'm guessing you must, because the leaves will be dry. This sounds great to me...a bag of cubes of basil puree.

      Delete
  8. What Pat said. Freezing is best. I have jars of pesto in the freezer that are good five years later. I use almonds instead of pine nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I have around more than pine nuts...good idea!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks for counting down to let me know what you liked best!

      Delete
  10. Pretty flowers and a good quote!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.