Update about blogCa

Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Food, dentist and playing tourist (second try)

 (On the day I posted this, I was mentally fogged, so it got posted in the wrong month)

Do you wish the world were happy? / Then remember day by day, / Just to scatter seeds of kindness / As you pass along the way. -Ella Wheeler Wilcox, poet (5 Nov 1850-1919)

*************************************

 Some things that happened last week.

I had a crown re-glued onto the tooth where it had popped off. Don't ask what I was chewing, but I do avoid sticky caramel filled things these days.  The dental assistant came at me with the pre-novocain swab first and I said oh no, I'm not having a filling! She looked at a chart which hadn't been updated apparently. Whew...got out of there without any pain. 



I love my dentist...and my insurance pays most of the cost (through Medicare) and it's at a sliding scale clinic anyway. I have learned to have the first appointment in the day so I don't really have to wait as long! But waking up an hour earlier than usual, I did miss breakfast.

So on my way home I picked up a huge apple crumble muffin and poured fresh coffee in that wonderful Michele' Hastings decorated mug. Then strangely I fell asleep for 2 hours. I wonder if there had been MSG in the muffin...and highly doubt it...but that's the reaction I have to that flavor enhancing chemical...I just go to sleep. It wasn't that outstanding of a muffin though.


And in that week I also stopped for a to-go meal from Ole's Guacamole. Simple tacos. Yum.

I ended up playing tourist in a nearby tourist destination, the small towns of Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. 

I had driven many miles further than necessary as I got lost trying to find a vacation spot that my family will be renting in a few weeks.

Absolutely all the parking spaces in Chimney Rock were full at noon, and when I got to this shop of many interesting things, (with empty parking places) I hoped I could use their rest room. 

Sadly, on the door is a sign saying no public rest rooms. But I went to the clerk at the back and asked where there might be one...

She kindly told me to go to the welcome center in Lake Lure where there are nice public restrooms. I bought some stick candy and tipped her in thanks. 


This was the only store that had empty parking spaces in all of Chimney Rock. Mmmm. That tells you perhaps what the tourists are interested in these days!


I finally found the welcome center, and got help as to which turns to take to reach my original destination. The hostess even printed out the directions. It helped because there had been no cell service up in the mountains where the cabin is where we'll be staying.

I'll give you more glimpses from that trip in another post.





10 comments:

  1. ...the dentist isn't one of my favorite destinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. I like this woman, who chatters along happily while assuring me she's doing this or that for my teeth. If my parents had wanted me to look pretty rather than smart, they would have paid for braces rather than my education. That's what they told me anyway.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing the places you go to there. You find such interesting to shop and explore. I am not a big fan of dentists, but I am always grateful that there are people who decide to go to school, study and learn to become one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard once that of all professionals, dentists are the highest number of suicides. Sad.

      Delete
  3. I think it's been a couple of years or more since I had a muffin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange, because I love the chocolate croissants at that bakery, and I just bought a loaf of their multigrain bread. It's half the size and a dollar more than at the grocery, when they have specialty breads. I haven't been able to find them for the last few weeks.

      Delete
  4. I won't be posting any pics of my upcoming dental visit as it's never one of my favorite appts, Barbara. Glad yours went well. The places you showed here all looked interesting, but I would have been more of a looker than a buyer. Too bad the muffin turned out to be such a disappointment, but a nap never is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a looker, calling myself a window shopper. But I do like going inside shops to cool off! As I mentioned to William, I get good bread and croissants from that bakery, so shall continue to shop there!

      Delete
  5. I get fillings without Novocain because it makes me sick. Drilling only last a few minutes and Novocain’s misery lasts all day.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.