Update about blogCa

Thursday, August 25, 2022

It's fig season!

These delicate lovelies never make it to a supermarket. That's why a Tailgate Market on Saturdays is so special! I asked a friend to get me a bunch (a pint I think) and here they are. These are ripe already, and beginning to squish up.
So I cut up some ciabatta bread and spread cream cheese on it, then a layer of spinach yogurt dip, then the mashed up figs.

Next time I'll skip the spinach yogurt. It was a good supper though!

And today I had figs and yogurt (no spinach) for breakfast. Definitely a good thing!

-----------------------------------------
An NPR article crossed my desk yesterday...worth looking at to consider the Racism behind the Jan. 6 insurrection. HERE.


and if only...

Today's quote:

There isn’t time - so brief is life - for bickerings, apologies, heartburnings, callings to account. There is only time for loving - and but an instant, so to speak, for that.
 
—Mark Twain,
in a letter to Clara Spaulding, 
20 August 1886




 



17 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The figs look delicious, your supper looks delicious. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one more meal of figs still...there are just 5 left, breakfast tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Somehow I've missed out on eating figs that way. My experience is totally with fig newtons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is a good start. But of course fresh ones are juicier, and just as sweet, no sugar ever needed. I didn't have canning supplies or I would have tried to put up some as a jam.

      Delete
  3. ...plain and simple, America is a RACIST country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So those of us fighting racism are the anti-racist Americans...and there really are a lot of us these days.

      Delete
  4. I have never given or gotten a fig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Figs are a delight. We have a tree in our greenhouse that is prolific. And a few weeks ago I had the best ice cream sandwich EVER--Fig and goat cheese ice cream between rosemary shortbread cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I haven't had a fig in years! How could I forget how yummy they are? Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happened to see a pint in the picture advertising last week's Tailgate Market here...and friends sell their pots there, so I asked if there were any left, to please buy me a pint.

      Delete
  7. Figs are so hard to come by and wonderful. Here there might be a single Saturday at the farmers market when someone has them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same here. They have a very short season...maybe 2 weeks if we're lucky. I have bought them quite green and gladly waited for them to ripen...but these were ready to eat!

      Delete
  8. I haven't had fresh figs in many years and will confess to salivating a bit at these photos, Barbara. My preference was to eat them straight from the vine, but the cream cheese looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.