Update about blogCa

Saturday, August 20, 2022

The old old roads...and what happens when two cars are in the same place at the same time

Just ran into a wonderful article which I'd shared a year ago on FB...Here's the whole thing. I'm grabbing the photos for this blog, and certainly recommend reading it.

Many of my ancestors moved about through the centuries...like most of us. And when there weren't yet roads, there were tracks...which later were worked on to be wide enough for wagons...and thus settlers could go to "frontiers." The quotes on that word is due to the fact that all of that land was occupied already by Native Americans, so it was just a frontier for the European settlers.

From whom I'm descended 


"Ramblin’ Man: From Wagon Trail to Interstate

"Getting from here to there in North Carolina has always depended on safe roads — for man and beast."

.


And...


On Asheville's Urban Trail are statues of pigs (here) and turkeys (in background)...both of which were part of the drovers trade from Tennessee to at least Greenville SC, possibly as far as Charlotte.

Sharing  with Sepia Saturday this week!


And a Post Script....on Friday I tucked my little car into the side of a slightly bigger car, because a much bigger black car had blocked my view of the one I hit. Since my front bumper was riding on the tire, it was towed away.  Thus I am now without transportation, and have been calling around to find out how and if I can get the little 2004 Toyota fixed. Apparently it's also up to the insurance adjuster...who probably won't come right away.

Incidentally the other driver was also ok. She was Hispanic and speaking on a phone with an earbud constantly even when police and EMT's were there.  I felt really bad to have interrupted her life by running into her.

You have no idea how helpless I feel about car things...so I called who I usually had do my mechanical work...who referred me to a body place that doesn't have any openings till Dec...and I'd have to have it towed to them to just get an estimate...and on and on. Talking to mechanics, body shops, and my friends of male persuasion, well just one, who hasn't ever had an accident...I'm left sitting here feeling pretty darn helpless.

The air conditioning probably caused the fluid you see under the car.

Fortunately I have access to free transportation around my little town on Mountain Mobility, a small van which goes by my apartments 3 times a morning and 3 times an afternoon. 

And I have friends willing to help me out...either to get where I need to go, or to bring me things. The one thing they can't fix is my brain, which goes over and over the moment of impact and all the things said and done right afterwards.  I have called my Dr. office, but they are closed till Mon. and they only want to help with pain in my right arm, which was bruised as I was shifting gears. Sleep aids may be necessary tonight!


Today's quote:
No one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell. 
-Charles de Lint, writer (b. 22 Dec 1951)


 

34 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your accident, I hope no one was hurt. December, that seems like a long time to have repairs done, they must be busy. I like the cute pig and turkey sculptures. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Eileen. I know you're busy on a Saturday morning with the Critters meme you host...and somehow reply to everyone's comments! Have a great weekend. My pains are just bruises I think, right arm, and this psychological stuff from guilt probably.

      Delete
    2. And the other driver also wasn't hurt.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Barb--I'm so sorry. Thank goodness you have access to transportation--though I know it's not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think how yesterday I told someone how I liked to drive up to the outlooks on the Parkway. That will wait till I am again a "car-owner."

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry you had a car accident, Barbara . That is such sad news. I hope things work out much faster for you then having to wait until December. I'm glad that you have friends there who will help out. Please take care there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin...I am zoom meeting with a friend who might be able to help me with the insurance side of things...this afternoon. I did talk to the insurance representative last night.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! I hate it when I mess up the car, whether it’s an accident or just running over a nail. Glad you have friends who can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had an accident (at least in 50 years) so don't know the ins-and-outs of repair or replacement. Hope to learn more. First must be patient!

      Delete
  5. ...I'm sorry to hear of your mishap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom... It will someday be just a memory..."that time when..." For now it's pretty raw in my mind and emotions.

      Delete
  6. Those accidents are so traumatic. Glad you will be able to get around, and I hope you get the rest sorted sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sitting here, at home more than I would choose, and learning (at my advanced age) yet another lesson in patience. Must wait till insurance people look at car and decide what to do with it.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry about your accident and the aftermath. The scenery of North Carolina reminds me of the scenery around Athens, Tennessee, where my paternal family started out. Interesting to imagine those old roads and the people who traveled them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, our ancestors did travel by horse, wagon or on foot on similar roads! Part of my family went to the eastern Tennessee mountains (Sevierville). I don't know that I've ever been to Athens.

      Delete
  8. An accident! It can happen to all of us at any time. You've been providing rides to so many so now it's time to help you out. It will get resolved. At least no broken bones. Daughter who broke collar bone in their accident in March is full recovered now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear about your daughter's healing. I am so grateful to those who help me get around now. Thanks for kind words to remind me that I'm not the cause of everything that happens.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear, so sorry to hear this. But it was an accident and it can happen to any of us. Thankful no-one was seriously hurt. Hope you can manage to get your car repaired fairly quickly. When I crunched mine on a fence I was shocked how flimsy the bodywork seemed. It crumpled up like tinfoil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that too, thinking only needs plastic repair. But that may actually be more expensive. We shall see! Thanks for your supportive words.

      Delete
  10. Barbara, Bad news about your accident! At least no one was badly injured. It's been awhile since we've needed any repairs like that. Only twice since we've been retired. No problem getting it fixed the last time...about 7 years ago. The time before it took 2 + weeks to get it fixed and then they parked it on an ant mound in their lot...and we went round and round over that too! Glad you enjoyed the memories that resulted from my last post about Elsah... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were very sly about Elsah, because I'd already made a comment about going to school there. But then I don't go back to read replies to my comments, so perhaps you did say something about going there! Anyway thanks for such a great description of the village! Glad to hear of success stories of repairs after minor accidents. An ant mound! Oh MY!

      Delete
  11. Sorry to hear about your car. It's such a pain in the neck to get cars fixed around here. I hope you can get your car fixed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...you are so right. I do hope it's fixable. Waiting to hear from insurance.

      Delete
  12. Barbara, I was sorry to read of your accident and hope you won’t have to wait too long before being mobile again. In the meantime, I have been admiring the banner photograph on your blog - a stunning shot of the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Barbara - the Anon. Comment was me - Scotsue.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sue, I was amazed at all the details the iPhone camera can capture in landscapes! I just point and shoot, and am often happily surprised...though I admit about 1/2 get discarded!

      Delete
  13. I add my condolences for your recent accident. A good car is tough thing to lose. I hope you can get it repaired soon enough to see the fall colors again. :–}
    I enjoyed reading the story of our mountain roads. I suspect many a wagon and Model T automobile had similar run-ins on the twists and turns around Black Mountain. Don't imagine the cell phone reception was very good then either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Mike. You add levity to this situation. And all I can do is sit and wait for the insurance people to decide whether to fix or total. I can remember taking my camper van up a dirt road in Tennessee wooded mountains, and being a Chevy, when the back wheel slid off the side of the road, we were left hanging there. Fortunately a tractor and chain were found by hiking to the nearest farm, and we were on our way again.

      Delete
  14. Any accident leaves you badly shaken up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought my good night's sleep by Friday (with a bit of pharmaceutical help) was about it for my shakes. But mentally/emotionally, I'm still dealing with it. Glad physically I'm not too bad off!

      Delete
  15. Sorry about your accident, I hope you'll find the help you need to get things fixed and back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still patiently waiting, noon on Mon. Hope sometime today to hear.

      Delete
  16. The first old photo has a lot of interest to look at and ponder. I hope your busy brain settles down for more peaceable sleep and thoughts. Fingers crossed that you get your wheels back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I finally heard what the insurance co is offering me. Whether to take it or not, I'm still unsure. Getting some advice from old friends.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.