Update about blogCa

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

The great big wildlife-before-breakfast encounter!

There he sat, waiting for me to return to the chair, I was sure.

A stink bug. 

"It's February," I told him. 

He looked up at me from his triangular (trapezoidal?) shape with soulfull stink-eyes. He just sat there where I'd recently left to fix my breakfast. I now held it on a plate in one hand, and my coffee mug in the other. 

He was located mid chair, in that space between my legs when sitting. It had been warm, and I of course had not seen him land. Perhaps he flew there while I was in the kitchen.

So I placed food items on the table, turned to him with outstretched tissue in hand, and gently pinched him into the tissue. I carried him to the door, knowing the freezing temperatures would not be to his liking. But what choice did I have? Flushing him would be faster, but actually this was a way to let him go in a more natural setting. 

He didn't want to let go of that tissue. I flung him out, and he stuck to it. 

So I actually pried him off and tried again. He flew to the ground, where he disappeared into the brownness of the mulch. Thus he's returned to nature, rather than between my legs!

I ate my eggs before they got too cold.


Today's quote:

The poet judges not as a judge judges but as the sun falling around a helpless thing. 

-Walt Whitman, poet (31 May 1819-1892)


16 comments:

  1. May all your encounters with wild beasts end so peacefully! Nice apt quote too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I endured many a spider mite's bites for a while when I brought my plants indoors. The answer was to open the windows and let the room get to freezing temps!

      Delete
  2. ...stink bugs are a stinky fact of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it! We can live with them with proper respect!

      Delete
  3. Well that was a fun account of a not-so-fun time. If possible I also catch and release, but not so very long ago, I had to end a spider’s life because I wasn’t going to send it out into the winter freeze. I couldn’t have pried the windows open at the time either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are some times when a flush is the answer.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you could do a catch and release with that stink bug. I hope it finds another place to be just be its little stinky self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, Stink bugs and lady bugs...they tend to show up year around but of course one has to treat the stinkbugs gently or pay the price. As for leftovers, we throw away very little...although yesterday I did throw out a slice of stale bread and a spread that neither one of us cared for. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some French bread/or Italian, anyway a skinny loaf. It has turned stale inside the plastic. I could hit someone over the head with the rest of it, and they would be hurt! I'll look for another brand next time. I wanted to make Bruschetta, and now I'm stuck with the tomato mix and no bread!

      Delete
  6. Stink bugs stink, we had them in Alaska. I hated them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. You're lucky. Next one I find I'll send it to you@+!

      Delete
  8. I threw one out yesterday. I guess they are trying to escape the cold. I read that some birds will eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope they return to their proper place in the chain of life.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.