Update about blogCa

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

The new house in the Lake-hood

 

Looking at the new house that's being built on this little short street! We first noticed it when we were walking around Lake Tomahawk...from the other direction.


Looking down the road (not sure what it's called. Just past that man standing in front of the evergreen tree. you can see the dam for Lake Tomahawk, and a tiny bit of the water. And yes, that's my car getting in the photo too! The yellow line points directly to the dam!

The grey shed next to the road on the left, apparently holds various tools for the building process.



Interesting layout...it seems to be being built pretty quickly. I'll try to post more photos maybe next week!
PS. Update is I drove by Mon. Feb 21 and it still looked the same. I think rather than finishing the roof, he's working inside. I also think it might be being built by the man who owns the house closer to the lake. I'll try to walk the lake walk again soon!


Today's quote:
Frank Woolworth opened the first of his "five cent" stores on...[Feb 22}]...in 1878. Armed with $300 and experience working in a dry-goods store, he opened "Woolworth's Great Five Cent Store" in Utica, New York; by May the store had gone under. He tried again in 1879, this time in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and included merchandise priced at a dime. His "dime stores" undercut the prices of local merchants, and they differed from traditional stores in that merchandise was readily available for shoppers to pick up and handle without the assistance of a shop clerk. The Lancaster location proved successful and Woolworth opened a second location in Harrisburg at a cost of $127. By the time he died in 1919 the "five and dime" F.W. Woolworth Corporation was worth about $65 million and owned more than a thousand stores worldwide.
Thanks, Writer's Almanac Newsletter

15 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The house looks like it might have garage doors on the bottom level. The Woolworth stores were really popular when I was young. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about garage doors. For that reason I think it's just like a small garage apartment kind of place. The upstairs will have views of the mountains and lake at least. But it certainly is squeezed in between bigger homes.

      Delete
  2. ...Rodman, NY is an unlikely place for Frank Winfield Woolworth to come from. I drive through Rodman with I go to the Adirondacks and the community is remote to say the least. Take about coming from humble beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woolworths was part of life until the Waltons and other big box discount stores started to take the commerce. Good to hear that Mr. Woolworth came from a small town that you've seen.

      Delete
  3. In the fifties, my mother called it the 10 cent store. Later I learned that people tended to call it the five and dime. It may have been that we lived in Montreal in the fifties and the five and dime was more an Ontario thing in the sixties and beyond. Not that they were five and dime any more by then but when people talk in retrospect, that’s seems to be what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I think I may have heard my grandmother say five and dime, and I didn't know what she was talking about, because it was Woolworths or Kresge's to me. But I sure don't remember the first big box store I went to as a teen in St. Louis. Pretty sure it was not a Walmart.

      Delete
  4. That looks a bit too big for the neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will blend in more when finished. But it sure is squeezed into that property.

      Delete
  5. When I was young and there was no tv, our family used to take after supper walks in the neighborhood and check out new construction. It was always fun to imagine what the finished product would look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new constructions are rarely on the streets in town around here...mostly up steep gravel drive ways in the woods...which don't exactly invite inspection.

      Delete
  6. My mother worked in Woolworths in England back in the 1940s, everything cost sixpence in those days. F W Woolworth disappeared from out high streets a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a Woolworths Walk in downtown Asheville NC...it's full of wonderful booths of arts and crafts. But the most wonderful part about it is the original lunch counter and stools...it's full each noontime!

      Delete
  7. I remember Woolworths. We had one where I grew up in MA. and when we moved to Fairbanks, there was one there but they were going out of business back in 1995. It will be interesting to see the house when it is completed. I like small houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go walking again soon...or at least drive by if weather stays cold or wet. Actually today was my own staying in because of breathing difficulties.

      Delete
  8. I miss the dime stores. They had a feeling of community.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.