Update about blogCa

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Life with chemistry

 I remember a commercial in the early days of TV...I think a GE ad. "Living better with chemistry."

The Periodic Table of elements. This is all we're made of...and the universe!


The medicines I take just changed. I'll not bore you with changing conditions...but they are related to heart and lung problems.


The other night I went to our ER with symptoms that were bothersome, and got a bunch of tests, which all showed nothing. I was already on all the correct drugs for my conditions. The poor Dr. said as he gave up, well we could put you on 5 days of prednisone. So voila' another piece of medical chemistry for a week.

Then he told me to go home. It was 4 am. I said I had arrived by ambulance, and I couldn't very well call my friends at that hour. They had an answer for that, the hospital itself gave me a ride home in their ambulance. 

I'm waiting to see the various bills. For the first time I had to pay a co-pay in ER...but they gave me 20% off for paying immediately rather than being billed. But it was worth it to know the status of my organs is good enough not to require anything further than all the prescriptions I already have (except the prednisone!) If you've ever taken it, you know how my life will change while I'm on it.

I become hyper...which means having lots of energy. The Dr. said I'd have a clean house this week. I also was aware I'd have to take it in the mornings, so I could wind down by nighttime. But at 4 am they gave me my first mega dose (3 pills while the rest of the time just two a day.) There went the rest of the night. I couldn't get to sleep, so I just lay there with my eyes closed. Finally about 6am I got a couple hours sleep. I did have some more sleep later in the afternoon...having not had any sleep the night before.

Since I've talked about mask wearers here before, I have to mention that all the EMS workers didn't wear any when they showed up to take me to the hospital. They were part of our fire department. After they left me at the hospital, I noticed several other EMSs bringing in patients weren't wearing masks and some were. ALL the workers at the hospital were masked. Which meant the EMS technicians who took me home wore their masks.

I mentioned that the next day at the pharmacy (masked workers) and they were surprised, because they said those were federal employees, and medical workers as well. Yep, a very big surprise for all of us! (Actually I think they are County Employees.)

Our state level, in North Carolina, is suggesting mask wearing for indoor gatherings, but the mandate expired Feb. 16. And the COVID numbers are still around 2500 new cases each day. Guess they weren't wearing masks. Though many friends who've caught it once or even twice, had worn mask most of the time.

Todays Quote:

I believe that good poetry can be as ornate as a cathedral or as bare as a pottingshed, as long as it confronts the self with honesty and fullness." 

 Mona Van Duyn, poet, b 5.9.1921



12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I hope you are ok, it is frustrating when the doctors do all these test and can not find out what is wrong.
    We are seeing less mask wearing, I think the mandate here has ended. We still wear our mask while shopping.
    Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same here. I just shopped at Aldy's and maybe 3-4 people besides myself and friend wore masks. I think we kind of scared the others. I remember early on people joking that I was going to "rob them" by wearing a mask. Poor dears. I hope they survived. I'm feeling better...thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  2. ...prednisone is a double edge sword! Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I haven't cleaned house yet...but have certainly tackled a lot of things that have been just waiting for attention. It's like being a kid and seeing that shiny thing to play with, and then another over there, and then another. Can't concentrate worth a fig. Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  3. I hope all is going well there for you. Prednisone is a tough one. Interesting about some EMTs wearing masks and some not. Most of California's mask mandates have been lifted, but we're still masking up whenever we head out to the food store.
    Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear - most of my friends and blogger-friends feel the same way. Stay safe! I'm doing ok, almost done with the prednisone...which keeps me from falling asleep each night but does help me breathe. Thanks for your well wishes.

      Delete
  4. What a trial. I'm sure you debated whether to call 911 or not and the side that said call won out. You found relief at least that there was nothing new to add to your list of ailments. Hope you feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your well wishes, Marcia. You said it. I decided for hours to just stay home, rather than get exposed to other things at the hospital. I imagined sitting in a waiting room with people coughing all over the place. Never happened! My little exam room had air flowing through it constantly, and all the folks there were masked professionals. I'm almost done with the Prednisone, then will see if my lungs can stay ahead of the cough!

      Delete
  5. Time in a hospital is never something to be enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your health issues.

    We still have a mask mandate place although, apparently, some stores have taken the reminder sign down at the entrance. Some have taken this to mean that they are no longer required to wear them. They are though. I expect that mandate to be removed around the end of March unless there is a resurgence,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your issues, and the costs. It's no fun.
    I think we just have to wear a mask for our own protection. Some of our restaurants are choosing to keep proof of vaccines for customer safety, even though, as Anvilcloud said, Ontario has relaxed controls.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.