Update about blogCa

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Community Gardens from early March

That week it was sunny but cold. No rain for over a week. But the cold still was keeping most people out of gardens. 


I liked there was a sand box for kids.

These green and purple plants looked like they had survived the winter, and perhaps had been picked over a bit.


I would wonder if there aren't some onions or garlic under these long leaves...

These looked like small beets which had started to sprout, but left on top of the ground...very strange!

Some pretty new looking green growth...but I don't know what.

Ah ha...someone has weeded this bed.


Same bed, looking at some pretty green and purple plants...not sure what they are, but pretty hardy.

Further along the well weeded bed...

The tall bamboo structure was one of my reference points as I wandered around.

I was impressed that quite a few of the beds which had had the plastic covering had some things growing in them.


I always try to capture blue flowers...and these tiny little guys were hard to see.

Are you bored yet? How about this little Asian style lantern over on its side? At least the soil has been turned recently here.





I liked this brick edging. The owners of this plot not only have prepared the soil, they've put out new plants.



I can't wait to see all the work that may be ahead...


The Forsythia (I think) was about to bloom. I should go back soon and capture its beauty!

Today's quote:

Ray Bradbury said: “There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”

And: “I don't try to describe the future. I try to prevent it.”


I thought this had been published here in this blog. But it was lined up over in another blog completely! I certainly wouldn't have done that. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else who publishes more than one blog...

16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The weeded gardens look like someone is hard at work. I am waiting to see our forsythia blooming. It is really cold here, it still feels like winter. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you getting up in the dark again...I can't convince myself to do so yet.

      Delete
  2. I have just come from another blog featuring forsythia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dare say it was Vicki Lane's blog, which I also read. She's even got some inside to bloom early in a vase. I didn't do that this year.

      Delete
  3. ...I can't wait to get going in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I think March is such a tease when gardeners have to wait around until spring thaw happens. We may have a frost or two, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get a March snow.

      Delete
  4. You have more than one blog? How did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 3 photos on the right column lead to 3 of them, and I guess that makes 4 in all. I only add to the art blog sporadically. I try to keep up with the one on my ancestors, but I'm getting a bit overwhelmed right now. new phone, new computer, new printer...a lot for me to deal with.

      Delete
  5. Those community gardens are a wonderful opportunity for people who live in apartments to connect with the soil and grow their own produce. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first ran into them while a student at the U of Florida...and had 2 plots one year, one in the organic plots, and one that was actually closer to my apartment which wasn't organic. I didn't keep them both up the whole summer though. But I did enjoy visiting and seeing some interesting things being grown by other students, especially the foreign ones who grew exotic things.

      Delete
  6. Barbara, we used to have a community garden plot when we lived in Brooklyn, NY. Your photos reminded me of all those years. We enjoyed it very much, except one year when there was a bad beetle infestation that killed everyone's vegetables and flowers. I can't garden much here as there are too many critters that would come and eat everything. I even have to have some of my shrubs enclosed in chicken wire to prevent the deer from eating them down to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been various diseases here which I've heard include a tomato blight. I haven't been growing anything except in pots, so I don't keep up with that. I like shopping at the Tail Gate market in the summer and buying local produce.

      Delete
  7. In a little time, those gardens will be thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty soon. I haven't been over there this week, so don't know the current status.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.