Update about blogCa

Monday, March 8, 2021

Fast forward, or looking to springtime

The poster that I read in my doctor's exam room, while waiting to talk with him about my ailments.



I've enlarged each plant below...



Pretty red leaves early in the fall.








Actually, I'm skipping the photos of western poisonous plants. And these are really not very much the way they appear...you can't even see the 3 leaves on this poison ivy plant as they will look when you run into it.

After the daffodils raise their sweet heads early in springtime, and often are frozen through spring frosts...then these poisonous plants might be found when hiking in our local woods. I am amazed how much poison ivy grows around here. And I just avoid all sumac, because it all looks the same to me.

Today's quote:

Peace is letting go—returning to the silence that cannot enter the realm of words because it is too pure to be contained in words.

MALIDOMA PATRICE SOMÉ


19 comments:

  1. Hello,
    It is good to be able to id these poisonous plants, just knowing you have to keep your distance. Love the quote, peace is letting go. Take care, have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it catches my eye again and again...and I relax a bit each time I read it. Hope you have a good week also. Be well and stay safe!

      Delete
  2. A good idea to have those displayed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...but I have seen better photos of those plants in various books...so I'm critical of these.

      Delete
  3. I am guessing that you might be the one to identify the plant on todays blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only know that it's a succulent. Most people that I know just say that.

      Delete
  4. ...the only one that I've seen here is Eastern Poison Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have maybe run into poison oak at some time, but the others I definitely see in our woods here.

      Delete
  5. I see sumac trees. They're very pretty in the fall. Wonder if it's the same as poison sumac? I stay clear of poison ivy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...I've only seen sumac that dies back each fall, after being one of the first plants to turn red in the fall.

      Delete
  6. Good reminder of what to look out for this spring! Nice poster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed seeing it way before any leaves were on these plants...and most of them probably haven't opened around here yet.

      Delete
  7. I've run into nettles before but nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nettles do grow near a few places where I walk. I've heard they are good as a hair rinse...but what a lot of trouble to go to!

      Delete
  8. Poison ivy is a fact of life here, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. If we focus on avoiding these, sometimes we miss out on a lot of other things. A fine balance!

      Delete
  10. Thankfully, I never came across poisonous plants when I lived in Brooklyn, NY< but my older brother had a very bad poison ivy rash once when clearing his yard out on Long Island. It was like having a bad burn as his skin peeled off. Here in Colorado bushes are sparse as our climate is so dry. It is easy to avoid wild growth like this.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.