Update about blogCa

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Ancient wonders visits

 Today's suggestion for Sepia Saturday

What does this remind me of?


A dwelling dated to 1123 AD, Dominguez Pueblo...near Delores CO.




Parts of the Pueblo still remain, between the parking lot and the entrance to the museum...so everyone has to walk by it.


Looking away from the museum, and the pueblo, there is a great view of the river valley. I think the mountains in the distance contain Mesa Verde.

A simple looking building, which houses an extensive collection of artifacts of the Pueblo/Anasazi inhabitants from their 2000 years here.






Pretty sure this is Ute Mountain, to the west. At times it looks like a reclining Native American, especially from my son's house in Cortez CO.

Can you see the cat?


I liked that I visited the Anasazi Museum in Delores CO when it wasn't crowded at all.


This was part of my trip out west which started with a friend's offer to drive me to New Mexico...and I rented a car to get to Taos and Santa Fe where I met my son and his partner. What a great adventure, and I came home totally broke! That was part of the joys of 2019.  (Before pandemic.)

Joy of joys, between pandemic and leaving my passion for pottery, I still find amazing things and people  crossing my path. No six degrees of separation here! Hi to fellow Sepian blogger Mike Brubaker...I just went (Thurs.) to the library here in Black Mountain to have AARP do my taxes. The woman helping me started talking about her husband's pursuit of identifying people in photo post cards, after mentioning a connection in art, and before we knew it we were introducing ourselves as very well connected to Sepia Saturday...as Mike is none other than her husband!

That made me wonder how long I've been involved with Sepia Saturday...will try to figure that out next!

And the answer seems to be Jan. 2015 as my first foray into Sepia Saturdays. Most enjoyable reading others' posts, and comments on mine! Thanks everyone!

23 comments:

  1. Hello, Barbara
    Looks like a wonderful museum. I love the view of the river valley. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen...it provided me with a great introduction to the area indigenous peoples...once inside I found a great rendition of the timeline of different cultures in the southwest area. It was hard to go inside, except the sun did become pretty warm as the day went on. Hope you also have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. I quite appreciated seeing pueblos and cliff dwellings in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joy of these sites' remaining intact, thinking of a complex culture that once existed here...I really loved seeing so much, trying to absorb it all...and failing. Glad my little phone camera carried it all on the cloud till I could post them.

      Delete
  3. ...a part of the country that I haven't seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're so inclined to visit, I would recommend late fall as a good time. I was there in Sept. and it still felt like mid-summer.

      Delete
  4. How funny that you met MRS Mike!
    Your photos from Colorado remind me of our visit to Sedona, Arizona. We went to Montezuma and Tuzigoot. Most fascinating and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the weirdest part is that we both were sharing about him, sort of sideways, you know, until I mentioned Sepia Saturday. I wish I'd been to Sedona, and have heard of Montezuma but not Tuzigoot...what an interesting name!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I'd love to see the Southwest but don't see it in my future. Will enjoy it online, as here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so far away from our little neck of the woods...and driving across country has become a bit more difficult with so many closings. We managed to find good rest stops and food most of the time.

      Delete
  6. You never know who you're going to meet or where! 'Small World' things happen to me all the time. Rather amazing. What a hoot to discover, of all places, you were working with the wife of a fellow Sepian! Your description of Ute Mountain looking like a reclining Native American reminded me of Mount Tamalpais north of San Francisco. Seen from my bedroom window when I was growing up, it looked like a reclining lady. In fact people used to refer to her as 'the lady of the mountain'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail...I'm glad to know your experience of Tamalpais as the lady of the mountain. Yes I have other friends who also know lots of people in our area...apparently they have lived here long enough, and talk with new people all the time, so there are many connections. I thought of myself as a bit of a hermit, but I do meet new people in public sometimes.

      Delete
  7. The museum looks like a great place to visit. I agree with you about the mountain looking like a reclining Native American, it really does. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ute Mountain is more lengthy and looks to have a head (with a nose even) from about 30 miles further south. I'm a lover of archaeology, and this museum, and a lot of others in the area, seem to have many beautiful artifacts. It's better there than in someone's living room I think. I used to know people who would just go out in the desert and dig around, then sell artifacts at shows.

      Delete
  8. Hi Barbara, Thanks for stopping by... Cortez and now Delores Colorado are on my trip list for our late summer adventure. Looking forward to the Anasazi Museum for sure! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't say Cortez is a good tourist destination, perhaps Durango would be a good idea...I didn't get to spend any time there, and am sorry. Of course a day at least on Mesa Verde is really worthwhile...many more museums and sites to see.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Indeed it is. I'm so glad I got to visit there, and then.

      Delete
  10. You may have come home broke financially, but greatly enriched in every other way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should go out to pueblo country. I'm not getting any younger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that museum architecture. It has so much character. How amazing to meet Mike's wife. It is indeed a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful part of the American West. Some years ago we visited northern New Mexico and southwest Colorado going to Mesa Verde Park and saw several of the ancient pueblo and cliff sites. It was a fantastic introduction to Native -American culture. Their masonry work was astounding, considering their lack of tool steel.

    And thanks for the shout-out. When my wife started telling me who she met, I knew instantly that it was you. You won't meet many people who enjoy filling in tax forms as much as she does.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fascinating account of a part of the USA I knew nothing about.






    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.