Update about blogCa

Saturday, September 12, 2020

Playing with trains

Ah, trains...some memories I've already shared about my family's connections with trains. Today let's remember playing with them.

Our train that ran under the Christmas tree in 1953 looked somewhat like this.


A Lionel train, which ran around in a circle over and over again, under the Christmas tree of course. It was fun for maybe the first 10 minutes to "drive the train." But then it would usually hop off the tracks and had to be returned to a special part of track (coupling?) which my father added, where the wheels would be easily corrected onto the tracks.


Fast forward to when my sons were very young, probably about 5 and 8. We turned the garage into a train table, which had a mountain in the middle where a child could easily stand, and the train was an HO gauge, rather than the bigger O gauge of the Lionel train set. We didn't have these buildings as are shown on the above layout. And it was only played with for a few months until the next interesting toys came along.

My great grandfather, Charles Herman Miller (who I never knew) was a conductor for the railroad that ran through San Antonio, TX. Here's a post about him (and the family) from a few years ago. (And here's another post about his coming from Germany to Texas.)  Since some of his daughters were born in other towns, it's likely he worked in those areas for some of the time. I find it interesting that his eldest daughter (my grandmother) wouldn't ever ride trains, but chose to fly instead in the 40s and 50s.

On the other hand, my mother, sister and I would go to San Antonio from St. Louis MO in the summertime...on a nice clean train with an observation car. I liked sitting up there all night, while my sis and mom took uncomfortable naps in their seats down below. I may have slept some of the time also. I think it was a 16 hour ride. And I don't remember anything about the trip coming home. That's the way this young person would be excited about arrivals, and disinterested in returning home.

Sepia Saturday this week has a big engine...one of those old steam locomotives.

Did my great grandfather perform his duties as a conductor on one of these in early Texas? I'm guessing yes. 


 

19 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Great post. I come from a family of train enthusiasts. My son played with the Lionel train sets when he was young, we had a train garden set up in the basement. The train rides were fun too. Great memories. Take care, enjoy your day. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess our grandchildren would find train sets a bit out of antique history. Hope your weekend is great.

      Delete
  2. My cousin's husband is into model trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super...I was just wondering what the current interest might be!

      Delete
  3. ...I had an American Flyer train, but never a setup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our train set was kept in a box, stored with the tree ornaments until each Christmas. I had a boyfriend who gave my sons the train set-up in the garage.

      Delete
  4. I think I was last on a train in the late 70s but mainly because our car was damaged, and I had to get to Toronto.
    I had a model train as a kid but no decorations, switches or anything. It would have been nice to have a set as an adult, but I won't now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought a simple HO set, and put it out at the holidays, and found one of my cats really enjoyed seeing it go around the track on my round dining table. We would have fun until she got up on the table to help it along.

      Delete
  5. We never had model trains growing up - probably because we were a family of girls. My mom and sisters and I did take a couple of train trips. I enjoyed riding a train, except the time we stopped in the middle of nowhere for hours for a reason I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were a couple of daughters, but my father thought we'd enjoy "driving" the train around under the tree. I think it was mainly for his own pleasure.

      Delete
  6. So many good memories of riding trains--from Tampa to Troy, AL with my grandmother in our own little room with bunk beds that appeared at night, from Tampa to Waynesville for summer camp (wearing a dress and a hat!) from Tampa to DC and NYC on our senior class trip I still love the sound of a passing train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great memories of your trips on trains! Me too, and I live near a crossing where a whistle is tooted each time a train passes, going to or from Asheville to points east.

      Delete
  7. I find train sets fascinating. I love watching the trains set up at a local garden and others at a pub in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are fascinating to watch. You remind me, our history museum has a set out that may be driven by guests, including whistles. I often had to go put it back on the track when I used to volunteer there.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your different take on the prompt. I remember my brother’s first clockwork train set and playing with my father on the floor with it. Many years later we used to play on the floor with my little granddaughter’s LEGO,train set. Trains still have a fascination. Happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad children are still being given the opportunity to learn about trains.

      Delete
  9. My Dad made a neat rail board for my brother's Lionel train set on a large flat sheet of plywood. I remember it had a small town, a tunnel, and a bridge and the whole thing slid under my brother's bed when he wasn't playing with it. The only thing I didn't like about it was Dad had to use the transformer that powered lights in my dollhouse (which he also built) to power the rail board. He promised he'd put another transformer in my dollhouse but never got around to doing it for some reason? Most likely the cost, I guess. They were big heavy clunky things back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that's too bad about the electrical limits. I'm sure you played with your doll house as much as your brother did with the train set.

      Delete
  10. Great match for our theme. My grandfather was a brakeman and later a yardmaster at Union Station in DC. My mom used to tell stories of the tough hours and hazardous work he did.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.