Update about blogCa

Friday, September 4, 2020

Oh those Guggenheims

I know that name because of the wonderful museum in New York. The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is in a building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.



And the good news is that it will again be open to the public as of Oct. 3, 2020. In the meantime, there are a lot of virtual tours available.

And another beautiful piece of architecture houses the Guggenheim Museum in Bilboa, Spain. Designed by Frank Gehry.



Oh dear, there's still one in Las Vegas, Nevada, and Guadalajara, Mexico!

And Wikipedia tells of

I enjoyed reading the genealogy of the Guggenheim family over on Wikipedia HERE.   Basically
Meyer Guggenheim, a Swiss citizen of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry, arrived in the United States in 1847. His surname was derived from the Alsatian village of GougenheimHe married Barbara Meyer, whom he met in the United States.
They had 11 children. If you're interested, go look at this family tree! Mr. Guggenheim made his fortune with mining.

I became interested in this topic through Sepia Saturday.


This week's prompt is...

"S. R. Guggenheim and Daughter. On a ship, c. 1920."
That would be Solomon R. And "daughter" would be...
one of three daughters:

  • Eleanor Mary Guggenheim (1896–1992), m. Arthur Stuart, 7th Earl Castle Stewart in 1920
  • Gertrude R. Guggenheim (1898–1966) (no marriage)
  • Barbara Josephine Guggenheim (1904–1985), married John Lawson-Johnston
I think the youngest is who I'd guess is depicted in the 1920 photo. Her son, Peter Lawson-Johnston, is now the President of the Guggenheim Museum, and founder of Guggenheim Partners.

Did you know S. R. Guggenheim's younger brother, 
"Benjamin Guggenheim (1865–1912), died in the Titanic disaster..."
Benjamin  was the father of Peggy Guggenheim, who  "...founded the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice."




Sinking of the Titanic by Willy Stower

And now Sepia Saturday has given the description of their photo ...

"Our theme photo features the American businessman and art collector, Solomon Guggenheim and his daughter, Barbara Josephine Guggenheim."
I was right!! Yay for my genealogical mind!


14 comments:

  1. ...as a teenager I visited the Guggenheim Museum in New York, what an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the spider in the second photo. There is one by the National Gallery in Ottawa. I think it is called Maman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    The museums are beautiful! I wish I could visit them all in person. A virtual tour is nice. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful musuems! I will check the links out, the virtual tour sounds nice.
    Thanks for the links and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful take on the prompt photo. Well done! I'm never quite sure about artistic architecture. It can be exciting or lovely depending on the way one looks at it. It also reminds me of science fiction. I'm just never quite sure if I really like it or not? It depends, I guess. :) Either way, museums are wonderful places to learn of both the past and what's to come in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My father recommends reading The Unfinished Palazzo by Judith Mackrell. Apparently it is quite eye-opening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing family. And those museums!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your post on the Guggenheim Family, as I knew very little about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of the Bilboa museum and how it complements the water. I'll have to take a look inside! Thanks for sharing the links and information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you've gone with looking into the Guggenheims. Great take!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done. I wondered if someone might pick the museum theme. I've not visited any of the Guggenheim collections but hope to someday. Do you suppose any of Mr. Guggenheim's numerous descendants keep a blog and write about their old family photos?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is that a spider outside the museum in Bilbao? It would have been fun watching that museum being built.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite interesting to learn all this background on the people and the photo. I should try one of those virtual tours as I'm unlikely to see it in person in this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.