Update about blogCa

Monday, September 7, 2020

Ornish based recipes, a la Barbara

The diet recommended by Dr. Ornish is very low fat and totally plant-based. With the goal of not just recovery from heart disease, but reversal of it, I'm following it as best I can.

Trying to thicken the vegetable stock which had been used to cook the mushrooms and beans. Then I added the rest of the Teriyaki sauce and finally the tofu, which had been oven roasted after being marinated 30 minutes in the Teriyaki sauce.

Voila! Instead of onions and broccoli, as the recipe calls for, I had green beans and extra garlic...but the fresh ginger was already part of the recipe. I had the first of 6 servings, served over brown rice. The rest of each are in small containers in the fridge.

The whole meal had no oil or fats of any kind. And using corn starch to thicken the sauce gave a lovely thick gravy. Since I didn't have Sake or Mirin wines, I used a commercial Teriyaki sauce (diluted with vegetable stock) which met the Ornish guidelines...and the whole dish was delicious.

My version of the recipe says  this:
INGREDIENTS: (serves 6)

1 c. Teriyaki sauce
3/4 c. water
1/3 c. reduced-salt tamari sauce
1 T fresh gineger root peeled and finely chopped
1 T fresh garlic pressed or minced
1-1/2 lbs. extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 c vegetable stock
1 lb. green beans, cut into 1 inch lengthes
4 c. fresh crimini mushrooms, quartered
3 T cornstarch
1/4 c. water
3 c cooked brown rice, for serving

Cube tofu and marinate in Teriyaki sauce mixed with water, tamari sauce, ginger and garlic for at least 30 min or overnight. Turning tofu to coate. Strain and reserve the marinade.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread tofu cubes evenly over baking sheet. Bake until tofu is lightly browned, about 25 min.

In large heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, bring beans and mushrooms, vegetable stock and 3/4 c. of remaining marinade to a simmer. Simmer, stiring frequently until beans are still slightly crisp about 7-10 minutes.

Add remaining marinade, bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with 1/4 c. water until smooth. Mix into mushrooms and beans and cook until glossy and thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add tofu.

Serve over brown rice.

I've got lots of left-overs, since there aren't 6 people that came to dinner!

Today's Quote:
Friday I tasted life. 
It was a vast morsel.  

A Circus passed the house —- 
still I feel the red in my mind though the drums are out. 

The Lawn is full of south and the odors tangle, 
and I hear to-day for the first time 
the river in the tree.


—Emily Dickinson


14 comments:

  1. Baking the tofu after marinading sounds a really good idea. I will have to try that, we do use tofu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps even extra-firm hold up when stirred with sauce and veggies. Next time I'll marinade over night.

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    Looks good, I would leave out the Tofu. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my main protein these days, and I eat it every other day or so.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I wouldn't share the ones that go in the garbage with you!

      Delete
  4. ...tofu hasn't hit my radar screen yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may find it's pretty good. Look for Asian recipes with some in them.

      Delete
  5. That looks delicious. We eat tofu very often, and this recipe sounds like something we should definitely put on our dinner menu. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the recipe originally called for broccoli...but I think just any veggie you want can be used in it. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. That looks delicious. We eat fofu and love it. If you freeze the tofu (take it out of the tub of water first), it changes the texture and you can crumble to use like ground meat, like sloopy joes or anything else you fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good information, Bill. Thanks. I have something else that I've eaten at the rehab center, which is great as a bar-b-cue meat substitute, called Jack Fruit. It's in the freezer for next week or maybe the one after.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks. I sure got lots of pots and pans used to make it. I would prefer if I end up with a one dish meal, that I have less different pans used in prep.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.