Update about blogCa

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Some wind and rain at the beach...

Tuesday Aug 4, 8 am.
I just watched a drone level video of the area of the Outer Banks island that was the landfall for the center of Isaias early this morning...or maybe last night.

I'm glad I had a pill that helped me go to sleep last night, while thinking of how my son and his wife and children had driven from their home in Ohio to the Outer Banks of North Carolina this last weekend. Just in time for a hurricane.

I haven't spoken to them. I just saw a couple of posts on Facebook that that's where they went, at this particular time. It's a good thing I didn't speak with them, because I would have blown my top. As it was, my anxiety level was right off the roof.  And fortunately none of the roofs were blown off literally.

I remember how long it took to repair the one road which was the only route to towns around Orakoke...after another hurricane.

Here's the video, where you can see all the sand that was washed up with the storm surge at Oak Island. And the cars just swished any which way, as well as washing machines...moved by waves of the Atlantic Ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch

I hope the three grandchildren enjoyed the beach. I am so grateful that they were alright. I really don't know what I'll say to my son when I finally speak with him. It's going to take some alcohol probably to help me get through that conversation.

Then a friend of mine said she included this adventure on her bucket list, to go to the beach during a hurricane.  Oh dear. I'm a bit amazed that people would risk their lives for this kind of terrible thrill...or is it just seeking horror?  Thrill by the terrible destructive force of nature...geese, no thanks.



















12 comments:

  1. Hello,

    My hubby would like to be at the beach watching the waves during a hurricane too. I am glad you family is Ok, I heard the flooding in places is horrible. Take care! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess storm watching is a pursuit that is best experienced by those who have low levels of anxiety. I'm sure it's beautiful in its way.

      Delete
  2. ...in my mind, this isn't the season to be out on the Outer Banks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been there, and have other favorite beaches I'd like to return to visit.

      Delete
  3. It's done and you can't change it now, so it may be best to chill and let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sometimes difficult to see what our children's choices as adults are. At least for me. My son is a rather conservative level minded person, so I was surprised at this choice. Yes, and I'm grateful everything came out alright for them.

      Delete
  4. Not a place I would or ever would want to go watch a severe storm. Way too dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder where a storm watching would feel safe...

      Delete
  5. Yikes--not my pick for a fun vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the storm has passed, maybe it will be most enjoyable for them.

      Delete
  6. Hurricanes at the seaside are scary! When I was a child, we toured Beach Haven, NJ after a hurricane because my aunt had a cottage there. They only lost their plantings and the heating system that was under the house, but I saw another house that was washed into the ocean. After that, I never felt comfortable at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited a FL panhandle coast a few weeks after a hurricane, and saw a house that had been uprooted by the waves, and was tilted in the sand like a child's toy. Nothing man-made can withstand the forces of wind and waves.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.