Update about blogCa

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

The rest of the walk at the Community Garden

You probably won't believe it, but I only took photos of about a quarter of the plots. There were a few that didn't have things growing - and a few that needed to be tended. But on the whole, these gardens showed the diligent efforts of many gardeners...and it's all organic too!







I was struck by this one apple tree. I wonder if it's apples will be an edible crop.


This was an interesting way to lay old plants down to help form barriers for an area. I wish I knew what this fine crop of a grass was.

The Swannanoa River is hiding between lush banks now.

I was glad to see these gardeners have been able to shelter their produce from hungry rabbits.









I am not particularly happy about changing all comments to being moderated. They don't get to my email in a timely manner...some took 4 hours yesterday before I got them, though the blog time said they were posted quite a time ago. Maybe this won't be the answer, but I'll give it a week before changing it again!

Today's quote:
A human being experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein











16 comments:

  1. ...the rabbits and deer think that my garden is their salad bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Wonderful images of the garden, it is good the plants are protected from the critters. I like teh flamingo flag. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having fences makes good neighbors with wildlife...aka Robert Frost. My son built 15 foot fences around his garden so the deer and rabbits would stay out (in CO, he sent me a photo!)

      Delete
  3. That really is quite a lush and beautiful garden there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin...I agree with you. Wish I could do things when kneeling still. Funny that that is something I've given up with age...you never know what abilities will be lost first!

      Delete
  4. Barbara, Despite my mother having lived on 5 acres, gardening and raising chickens for many years, I've just never been into it. We do have some herbs in pots but that's about it. I have a lot of respect for farmers as well as those who plant gardens. It takes a lot of work and dedication! In our yard, we tend to focus on decorative plants and flowers that our local herd of deer...we saw 9 today...just don't like to eat. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great to have 9 deer visit. I am like you, just have pots of flowers and a few herbs. So I'm pretty amazed to see all those gardens which are tended by all those gardeners. I can grow philodendron pretty successfully!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful gardens! How I miss mine--but between wonky knees and bad back, I just can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...but it's for the young(er) folks to bend and kneel and provide juicy veggies for us from their gardens these days. I still enjoy taking the photos though!

      Delete
  6. The garden look great. Makes me think of when I was part of a community garden group. Now I think I would have trouble bending a lot to tend to a garden. We have herbs growing in a windows and that is nice for us. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only did one semester of group gardening...and was glad to see at least the Kalancho plants survived while I ignored all the rest that I'd planted and ignored all through the season. I had many other things that drew my time!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes...we had an early planting without any frosts in May...or they covered their plants well.

      Delete
  8. That's a lovely sight! I suppose that your community gardens are the equivalent of allotments here.
    The community aspect is just as important as the gardening side as I found when I had a pair of allotments and when we help on my youngest son's allotment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of figured the same activity as English allotments. I wonder how many are organic there...it's not always required here, but has become much more common.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.