Update about blogCa

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Not much on the meme!

 For Sepia Saturday, this week I've been looking at lots of old photos through various social networking. None really match a building covered with ads.


I don't think of photographs the way our host, Alan does. He has been taking photos for years, and thus can find something to match just about anything in his own collection.

Sadly all my oldest family photos are just that, pictures of the family.

So I guess I'll do some searching around to find something that hits this link! Fortunately, the Sepia Saturday folks don't mind if we go far afield when posting something, anything really!

Ah ha, she said...just look at that wall, with at least two ads on it. And then it was painted full of houses!

My brain just keeps looking at the photos on facebook...like this.

The Ukrainian situation

Ukrainian high school students return to their school for yearbook photos.

These poor people, having a war dumped on them from Putin. They mostly are completely innocent. And their sad lives always make me grateful for what I have, and that nobody's trying to take over my country, besides the orange politician.

Climate Crisis:

And of course the other, perhaps even bigger problem, is global warming, the climate crisis.
I know this is supposed to be a post that is entertaining, or educational, or at least sharing with my community of other Sepians....so this is somewhat educational.


The author "...has produced a whole Earth catalog: "A book of facts about climate change. Containing tables, infographics, maps, definitions, history, quotations, and resources. We are a collective of artists, entrepreneurs, scientists, teachers, and humans who believe it's not too late to stop climate change." 

It's easy to read, and written for a general audience.

It's often hilarious, filled with cartoons and fun graphics.

It's a great teaching tool, with a free kids version.

It's got great online support, with bios of all the writers, footnotes, and sources to every article that is easy to find by a code number on each article.

It's wildly inconsistent..

(These comments all come from an article in Treehugger Newsletter, by Lloyd Alter.)  

It's urgent. As Godin notes in the foreword, the problem is too urgent to hang around and wait for every single story. He wrote, "We can't waste a moment arguing about the size of our problem or mourning what used to be. Instead, we can lean into hope and connection."

It's optimistic. "The hope that comes from realizing that it's not too late."

It's brilliant. Who cares if there are a few complaints, get them out the door. As Godin concludes, "If not now, when?" It is the book we need. Now. 

 

Calming energies

I'm sorry, this is where my head is this week.

I'll share this prayer to sum up my feelings. And maybe be able to sleep tonight!


May you have a good week of upbeat experiences, good health, love shared with those closest to you, learning what's happening in our world, sharing beauty here in blogland, and continuing to laugh and sing (if in the shower especially.)



15 comments:

  1. ...a number of years ago I saw online that massive mural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing other photos posted of it as well.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Love the mural. The Ukraine High School photo is a sad scene. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try looking at the beautiful day we have, and let these sad things remain in the background of my mind. Have a great weekend yourself!

      Delete
  3. Quite a contrast between mural work and the high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed. The Ukraine will be renovating for years to come, no matter who is in power.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post--especially the Apache blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah... my feelings echo yours. For months (and months?) it seems like there is so much bad news I can barely keep up. My city is experiencing the hottest June on record. I know people from Ukraine who are personally affected by the horrors there. An attempted coup and watching the videos and hearing testimony. My list goes on and on and gets more personal. I am trying to find the hopeful things and things of beauty amidst the bad. The Apache blessing is beautiful and restorative. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to not watch every evening's news...maybe skip a day or two each week. It doesn't really help. I like that some stations try to end with several upbeat personal interest items at least. But the state of the world is just plain worrisome. Thanks for sharing your views.

      Delete
  6. Your header photo is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...it will remember the blossom when the flower is gone.

      Delete
  7. Love that mural - really brilliant. And that photo from Ukraine - heartbreaking, and also a brilliant photo in its own way... And the prayer at the end - well needed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wish I'd had another photo of the mural but this was what was on FB this week! As well as the prayer!

      Delete
  8. The painting on the wall is incredible.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.