Update about blogCa

Saturday, June 25, 2022

My Doctor's Old Fort Office

 He has an office in a little nearby town called Old Fort NC. It was the staging point (probably a fort at the time) from which the first settlers to Black Mountain left. (known as Greybeard at that time)

But in order to see my Doc on Tues. I drove over the big Swannanoa or Old Fort Gap. That means on I-40 going east about 10-12 miles, most of which is coming down the mountain side in multiple switchbacks, with the semi-trucks in their own lane to the right, and the hot-rods in the leftmost lane, while I put put along at the speed limit or below, all the while staying within my lane. Today only one truck decided to pass the others, but it was in the return trip, so he was going slower uphill, and apparently whoever he passed wasn't keeping up with the 35 MPH speed the trucks were limited to travel. I veered into the hot-rod lane and they just had to deal with it...me passing the semi, passing another semi.

They (hot-rods) got ahead as soon as I went back in my safe zone.

Anyway, Old Fort has a nice history, and some nice places to have a brew and lunch, but I didn't have that in mind.


I liked finding the quilt on the side of the train station. It, like Black Mountain's depot, no longer has any rail trade going through it, though freight trains will toot as they go over the streets in each town.

Sounds like a good crowd for the Fourth...with free ice cream and watermelon! And a friend said there's also a rodeo!


Ah, this explains why the entrance doesn't look very businesslike!




Across the street is the famous (?) Arrow Head.


Family Care...as it looks on the outside.

I don't know how they got the door to look like black blocks, but it had a window in it.

My guess is this is Catawba falls, very near town. However it's closed as there were dangerous areas where people could fall. That says to me that some re-engineering may happen.

I stared at this for long time, till I noticed the Arrowhead is covered. It must have been the unveiling of it.

I believe this is Linville Falls, Upper Falls.

Andrews Geyser is a fountain which used to be controlled by the inn pictured here, which burned. But someone does turn the fountain on, because we went to see it after my Doc visit!

A feed and seed store...and I don't know if it's still standing.

The entire waiting room has this lovely mural of old times in Old Fort.



It's along a curved wall...with all these glass bricks to bring light inside. I've probably posted about this office before, because it is so outstanding. But I don't particularly like it because there are all these hard surfaces and high ceilings so the sounds all kind of sound very loud.


It was fun to see a print of a puzzle of a Norman Rockwell print. I felt just a bit like the boy, but only got a new prescription, no shots this time! 

Sharing with Sepia Saturday, for there are plenty of sepia photos in the waiting room!


13 comments:

  1. Odd how that our two days almost collide. Canada Day will be Friday; yours will be the following Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who work M-F jobs will be happy to have M off here. Do you do fireworks too? I bet you all do!

      Delete
  2. Hello Barbara,
    The tractor trailers are spooky to drive next to on the highway. I love the painting of the waterfalls, your doctor's waiting room looks very nice. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tour. Toes crossed the doc visit was simply a check-up with no complications!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a charming little town. And the depot is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and if I didn't have the highway to get there, I might enjoy it more. But I do have a friend who lives in Nebo (a few more exits down the interstate) so I see her almost weekly...in Black Mountain!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'll have to cross the street and get a photo of the description sign next time I go there!

      Delete
  6. What a unique Dr.'s office waiting room. And the chairs look nice and comfy and not the usual utilitarian kind of thing you normally expect to find in waiting rooms. The mural is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing post! My doctors' offices are so bland by comparison. The designer did an excellent job of keeping the historical significance of the building, with exposed brick and photos, even as it moves into the modern age. Especially love the waiting room wrap around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to comment the other day, but couldn't. Now I think I can. ?? I enjoyed the tour and really identified with your drive there - glad it is not the kind of drive I usually have to make.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.