Update about blogCa

Monday, February 10, 2020

Reposting from another blog - John O'Donohue on Illness

We never value or even see some things in our lives until we
are just about to lose them.  This is particularly true of health.
When we are in good health, we are so busy in the world
that we never even notice how well we are.  Illness comes
and challenges everything about us.  It unmasks all pretense.
When you are really ill, you cannot mask it.

Illness also tests the inner fiber and luminosity of the soul.
It is very difficult to take illness well.  Yet it seems that if
we treat illness as something external that has singled us
out, and we battle and resist it, the illness will refuse to leave.
On the other hand, we must not identify ourselves with our
illness. .....very ill people are often more alive to life's
possibilities than the medical verdict would ever allow or
imagine.

When we learn to see our illness as a companion or friend,
it really does change the way the illness is present.  The
illness changes from a horrible intruder to a companion
who has something to teach us.

...Sometimes, when you see a thing as the enemy, you
only reinforce its presence and power over you...
Held openly, as a friend, this bit of unknown aliveness
may take you on an amazing journey to places you may
never have anticipated.  Such attention enriches and
deepens genuineness and presence.

Illness also focuses us onto our "inner landscape", into
resting deeply in the inner silence of the "Soul."  It is a
remedial silence that allows us to endure, to move through,
but not necessarily getting rid of the illness.  We can't have
an agenda - only deep acceptance of the companion - and
learn to navigate it.

John O'Donohue
From Eternal Echoes

I'm considering this. How do I even do it?

I think first I will name several of my conditions. Thus they no longer belong to medical terms, but to me. And before publishing, I must mention that I did name them, and fell asleep thinking of us all inhabiting this body together...and woke up remembering yet another condition/friend. Hope that's all in here. (For now, says another voice, another "self.")

5 comments:

  1. Speaking of which, I will be off to the foot clinic this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I forgot the thing on my foot! Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    I am not sure if I could ever see illness as a friend? Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't exactly my friends, yet. And I tend to focu on the most current problems more than the ones in the background. I gues having lots of conditions makes it seem like I'm a whole team or community of ailment.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.