Update about blogCa

Saturday, February 15, 2020

Crowded long tables

We've all attended some banquets, feasts, or large group dining!

 
Holly Jolly sales room, 2017 December. This shot is looking over the top of my display towards Pat.
These photos from a few years back show a crowd that gathered one evening to look at long tables spread with - yep, pottery!

And some of our potters do more sculptural things, like Dori English's display in 2017.

 Here's Fred with his whimsical wares.

Freida made sculptures like purses out of clay that year.


And Sally had different kinds of trinkets.

Suzie and Carie had more functional pieces...to get ready for a banquet, right?

I have Crowd-a-phobia.  It' otherwise known as Enochlophobia...
... known by different names such as Ochlophobia and Demophobia. As the name indicates, this phobia consists of an irrational fear of large crowds and gatherings of people. Enochlophobia is closely related to Agoraphobia (which is the fear of and desire to avoid situations wherein one believes s/he may be subjected to incapacitation, humiliation etc).
Actually I avoid going out most nights because of having cataracts, which make driving a bit difficult...glare of oncoming headlights particularly bothers me. And I hate how cataracts influence my life, such that I avoid driving at night often.


This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photo shows many men, each with their own bottle of something liquid and probably alcoholic, eating in a crowd.  Come on over HERE and see what other bloggers have come up with following this theme.






19 comments:

  1. My sister suffered through a fear of leaving her home for a time and it limited her severely. She did manage to go to work, but other than that she wouldn't step foot out of her home. Before this condition struck, she had been a free spirit traveling everywhere on her own. It was very puzzling. Luckily she eventually overcame her debilitating fear and we were all so relieved and happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good news, that you sister was able to move past her fears.

      Delete
  2. P.S. I loved that first picture of people looking at pottery spread out on the table - especially the little one in the Santa hat. What a darling expression. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the last year I took part in that sale. It was fun to see the little ones definitely.

      Delete
  3. wow, lots of beautiful artwork on display :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...there are some talented people in our community studio.

      Delete
  4. In that last pic, as far as I can tell, there are no backs to the chairs benches. I so see this in some British tv programs. It hurts my back to even contemplate doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benches require good back muscles. I sit and do pottery on a stool without a back, but just for several hours at a time. I also sometimes sit forward when at the computer, but have the option to lean back to rest.

      Delete
  5. Oh man - I'd be there all day trying to decide. I want that pitcher, a snowflake ornament, a couple bowls, and and and . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun time with pottery customers making choices...what to give whom!

      Delete
  6. Very nice work. I like the individual variation but I bet a craft potter's nightmare would be a commission to supply matching dinner service for a giant banquet like in our theme image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of friend potters who have made maybe 12 place settings...but they warn the customers that they are hand made, and thus will not be perfect copies of each other.

      Delete
  7. I found some night driving glasses that help. They are tinted, so I push them up on my forehead when no headlights are in sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unfortunately wear prescription glasses already. I have polarized sun glasses that fit over my own glasses. Maybe they make the night glasses for that system too! I'm getting new glasses soon, so will ask about them.

      Delete
  8. Many talented potters in your group. An interesting take on the prompt photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry these weren't as old and sepia as many other's photos.

      Delete
  9. Amazing display of potters' talents in your photos. But clay purses? I can't even imagine. Mine is too heavy already :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, these would certainly not be such that a lady could use them...just for looking at!

      Delete
  10. Well laid out tables.

    I've only had one occasion where being in a crowd was bothering me in a way that a phobic might feel, but never before or since, so I suspect it was a different issue, like how I was feeling in general that particular day.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.