Update about blogCa

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Don't mess with Mother Nature

Gaia is the name I use for the goddess of mother nature.
She's in charge of trees, rivers, plants, weather and earthquakes.

So when us piddly people plan an event, and Gaia has other ideas, guess who wins! Here's my journaling of our trip to Shelby NC.

All day Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020, it rained in North Carolina. Western NC has lots of mountains, and creeks and rivers that flood from the runoff. This storm also included a line of thunderstorms and tornados. I kept an eye on the radar screen as we drove right behind the worst of the storms which were going slowly east. We were driving southeast, but we stayed on the western side behind that line. We also stayed on Interstates most of the way, and had no trouble at all.  My use of a certain impromptu wand might or might not have had any effect on traffic and conditions. Believe me, plastic straws were the underlying theme of the day.

My display
We unloaded our pottery at the Cleveland County Arts Council in Shelby NC. It was a bit wet, but quickly accomplished by Tim and Allan. There were just 2 employees there. It seems sometime while we were on the way they decided to cancel the opening reception.  It meant it would be held in a week, but the show would still be up for the whole month.  Apparently too many people (probably of importance) couldn't get through their own swollen-creek roads to town.  Only one other artist hadn't put his works out yet...and I'm sure when the rain stops he will make it to town.

But I did take time to go look at all the other potters' works. I'm sharing them over on Alchemy of Clay!

We were really ok without having an opening reception (aka party with lots of potters and some customers.)  Cathy and I had been pushing ourselves all week to get ready, pricing, packing, inventorying, glazing and firing in Cathy's case, repacking, etc.

Our dear friend, Tim, had not had a much prep work to do, and probably was ok with another adventure with these crazy potter women.  His job was loading and unloading his van, and fixing the lighting switch which had failed when we last were going to drive with him to a show. He had also put in the third seat so we could all drive in comfort, and he had the van inspected and renewed his registration. Plus, he got to do all the driving in the rain! That was a pretty major undertaking, and I was especially grateful that he drove us home after dark in the rain...something that would have left my white knuckle marks on the steering wheel.

Since there wasn't a party, we asked the locals for restaurant recommendations after we'd arranged our displays.  We ended up at a Greek/Italian place...very nice layout. My cousin, Violet, had recommended the Spanakopita, which I ordered. Cathy and Tim had Greek salads with chicken. And as we were handed plastic straws to use with our water or diet cokes, I had to remark that these would someday be rare antique items of value. That probably explains why I have such a collection of them. I had brought my own hard plastic straw in my sipper which turned magically into a wand for good safe driving...but I left it in the van.  And I drank a much appreciated beer anyway (do not try to drink beer with a straw!)

Toscano's Cafe still had this unique Christmas tree up.


The bottom layers of my 'pita were kind of burned and hard, and so I couldn't even cut them.  But the top was delicious.  And when I got home with my Balaclava-to-go, I found the same problem with the bottom layers being hard and over cooked.  Shucks, I wasn't very happy about that. I love good Greek pastries!


Yes, I captured Tim looking around the corner...he'd been a real trooper with all this rain, so we treated him to dinner.

More is to be posted tomorrow. Over on Alchemy of Clay. I think I took a shot of everyone's pottery at the show.

10 comments:

  1. ...sometimes the bear gets you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that's not the way I approach nature. But I guess it can work. So far I've walked away...

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the food, but it looks like you are a pretty accomplished potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad to know your opinion of my work. Yes, I don't eat out enough to shrug off a meal that wasn't first rate.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I am glad you made it safely driving. We had a tornado warning yesterday. I am glad you had Tim there to help. Sorry the Greek food was not cook properly. The wine bottle Christmas tree is interesting. Have a great day and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather continues to be crazy. I guess meteorologists have some of it figure out, with all their models...but it's still guesswork it seems.

      Delete
  4. You make beautiful pottery! Our former next door neighbor was a potter, and became one of our closest friends. We used to be delighted to get his "rejects"... small cracks, irregular finish, etc. We still have some of his pottery all these years later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, there are about a third of any potter's works that aren't salable. I'm drinking out of a mug with a crack in the bottom which doesn't go through, but it's a second.

      Delete
  5. We had a downpour too. I hate driving in the rain at night.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.